Vientiane to Nong Khai - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2016

Vientiane to Nong Khai

A dodgy fish kebab that we bought from one of the hawkers last night got us out of bed earlier than expected but we still didn't rush to leave our guest house. Instead I did a bit more research on where we would be going in Thailand and enjoyed the YouTube clip that Andrea Brown and Bruce Lellman are putting together of their trip down the Thai side of the Mekhong (from "Both Sides of Paradise" on CGOAB).

Eventually we packed up, had a another go at the great crispy pork and kale from the little restuarant next door (just as good as the first time) and wobbled off towards the Friendship Bridge some time after 8:30 am with the dodgy fish whispering somewhere inside me.

One of the unfortunate aspects of Pii Mai is that I have developed a spot of "nappy rash" from walking around in wet trousers so cycling was slightly tender until I got myself into a good position. Leigh's cortisone cream (SkinCalm) will hopefully sort it out for me.

As we pulled up to the border control a kind official pointed us towards the correct window (the one for private cars leaving Laos) and within a few minutes we were on the bridge cycling to Thailand. We had been expecting to have to go through the rigmarole of boarding a bus with the bikes with all the cost and time wasting that it involves so this was a real bonus. The roadsigns even clearly stated "Bicycles" so we knew we weren't making a mistake.

On the Thai side it took a couple of questions to find out where to queue (use the queue for bus passengers). A quick glance at our passports and we were granted a visa exemption of 15 days (we thought it would be 14 so we have gained a day's buffer in our plans to get to 4000 Islands).

We cycled down Mi Chai Road towards the riverfront and ended up taking the first guesthouse we looked at (Ruanthai Guesthouse - 400 baht for an A/C room). Not flash and one street back from the riverfront itself but the room is set back from the street and it has a secure and shaded area for the bicycles.

This afternoon we cycled off the the bizarre Buddha Park at Sala Keoku a few kays out of town. It was quite unexpected worth the 20 baht a head.

Sala Keoku
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sala Keoku
Heart 0 Comment 0

Supper was at the Apple Restaurant near our guesthouse. German owned by the look of things (a sign reads "Dienstags geschlossen"). Higher than expected prices (90 baht for Pad Prik and 80 baht for a large Beer Chang) but enormous portions.

Lots of falangs here in Nong Khai, many of them look like expats (if you get my drift).

The new route
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,425 km (885 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0