Preah Vihear to Sra Em - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2016

Preah Vihear to Sra Em

We were on the road before five o'clock this morning to give us the best chance of missing the heat on the ride to Sra Em. In the end the day was partly cloudy and quite cool (ie. low thirties) and we had a comfortable ride.

We stopped off for breakfast at Thmei, the junction that leads to Sra Em. All we could get was noodle soup and it was probably the dodgiest noodle soup I have ever eaten. We ate most of the noodles but the provenance of everything else in the bowl was a mystery to us so we erred on the side of caution and left it as untouched as we could.

The rest of the ride was very pleasant with numerous birding and drinks stops along the way. There is a 30 kilometer section from about 6 kilometers north of Themi where there are no shops or other sources of water. We had packed about 4 liters to get us through and with the cool weather we still had a lot left.

About 50 kilometers north of Thmei we stopped at a roadside stall where a youngish fellow (OK, he was younger than us) came over and looked at our bikes, then donned Leigh's helmet and dark glasses and disappeared up the road on her bike. All this was done in an almost pantomime-ish manner with no conversation (how could there be?) but much laughter.

We checked into the Piseth Pich guest house just west of the roundabout in Sra Em. A great quality room by Cambodian standards but a bit more expensive ($17) than the normal rates and with lousy wifi that goes up and down continually. I've had to do quite a bit of work today and the poor access to our servers in South Africa has frustrated me.

The bicycle thief and I
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 4,296 km (2,668 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0