Phanom Rung to Nang Rong - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2016

Phanom Rung to Nang Rong

We headed off to Phanom Rung Historical Park at about six o'clock this morning. The temple complex was built over a couple of centuries starting from the early tenth century and is a mix of Koh Ker, Bayon, Baphoun and Angkor styles. Really impressed with it and so pleased we went to see it.

Nandi at Phanom Rung
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yogi on a pediment at Phanom Rung. Apparently he was holding a rosary in his right hand. It's quite clear what he is holding in his left hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climb up to the Historical Park is also pretty impressive.

Then we carried on to Muang Tam, a square temple with five brick towers similar to Pra Rup. A bit of a letdown after Phanom Rung.

Graffiti on a thousand year old temple at Muang Tam. The perpetrator's self description was perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went back to Phanom Rung village via the scenic route through rice paddies and fields of tapioca and sugar cane. We checked out of the Smart Resort and had some lunch before taking the back roads to Nang Rong. Somehow I had put the incorrect location for Nang Rong into my Navigator application and we ended up, very confused, in a village a few kilometers east of Nang Rong on Highway 24.

We eventually headed westwards on Highway 24 to Nang Rong and checked into The Room, a sterile but functional modern hotel just south of Highway 24.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 4,799 km (2,980 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0