Hue to Lang Co Beach - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2016

Hue to Lang Co Beach

We were awake at ten to five and were on the road to the Japanese bridge at Thanh Toan. We grabbed a bahn mi for breakfast which we ate next to a canal in the rice paddies near the village. Then we set out for the dreaded Highway One and Lang Co Beach.

The early morning traffic through Huong Thuy on Nguyen Tat Tahn Road was far more frantic than anything we would encounter on the AH1 so when we hit the dreaded highway it was almost a relief. Having said that, we seem to have become accustomed to Vietnamese driving with its incessant hooting and find it far less nerve wracking than Laos. It is only the busses that seem to show little regard for other road users.

After a while on the AH1 we decided to simply push on to Lang Co and not look for quieter side roads. Although we couldn't describe it as fun (although Leigh says she enjoyed the ride), the shoulder was wide and we felt quite safe.

Once we got to Lang Co we checked out one of the hotels on the AH1 (not bad and well priced at 350K VND) but we felt we had to see if we could get a good deal at Lang Co Beach Resort because we wanted to be on the beach. The resort was almost empty and we secured a lovely room for 750K VND which we felt was great value.

A quick beer from the room's fridge then down onto the beach for a lovely swim. There wasn't another soul in the water on a 15 km long beach. Just what we were looking for.

Lazing on Lang Co Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

A great, if slightly expensive, lunch at the resort's Garden Bar (prawns in a peppery sauce and sesame pork) - definitely the best lunch meal we have had on the trip.

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,469 km (1,533 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0