Hoi An - lazy day - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2016

Hoi An - lazy day

We took the day off and had a late lie-in.

After breakfast at the plastic chair place run by the sister of the lady who runs our guest house, we tried finding a bicycle repair shop because Leigh's rear derailleur still wasn't right. In the end I adjusted it myself and it seems to be OK now. We will see how it behaves tomorrow when we head off south.

The afternoon has been spent chilling in our room. A bit of research on where we are heading, a bit of reading and a bit of sleeping.

Later we cycled down to the old town and riverfront to take some photos.

Hoi An Riverside
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our way to have a beer at one of the riverside pubs we passed 2 ladies on loaded bicycles - the first bicycle tourists we have seen in a month! As we were setting off to a pub to have a drink and a chat, we were passed by another cycle tourist who passed by without any recognition at all.

Anyway, we spent a pleasant hour or so with Beth and Emma who have been on the road for just over a year cycling from England. They're at the opposite ends to their adult lives to us, having started their trip soon after finishing their studies, and it was nice to hear about their travels.

To top it all, there was another South African, name of Ray Chaplin, sitting at the table next to us, who has been in Vietnam leading a 60 person group of golf tourists. Golf tourists ??? What was really interesting was that he has swum the the 2500 km length of the Gariep River (also known as the Orange River) see here. It took him six months and at the same time a friend of his swam the length of the Mekhong, all 4500 kms of it. Amazing stuff.

We eventually left Ray and the ladies chatting while we went off to get some supper because we have a 4:30 wake up call tomorrow.

We had supper at our favourite plastic chair eatery and were joined by my substitute grandchild (the son of the lady who runs our guesthouse) for a last photo together.

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 2,630 km (1,633 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0