Chiang Saen - a lazy visit to the Golden Triangle - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2016

Chiang Saen - a lazy visit to the Golden Triangle

A lazy day with a gentle cycle to the Golden Triangle and a visit to the Opium Museum.

Golden Triangle view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Opium Museum exhibit
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before supper we took a ride around the old city walls.

The old city walls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where the walls meet the Mekhong
Heart 0 Comment 0

Chiang Saen seems to wear a number of hats and is better off because of it. On one hand it is a declining harbour town (the port has moved 10kms south) and on the other it is a tourist gateway to the Golden Triangle. At the same time it is a historical park with the city walls being built in 1328. This gives it a relaxed and caling atmosphere. Most of the tourists seem to be from China with westerners obvious by their absence.

The locals seem to know how to enjoy life with more restuarants and snack barrows than seem necessary for such a small town. In the late afternoon, barrow based restuarants spring up along the embankment alongside the Mekhong complete with reed mats, low tables (and chairs if that's what you want) and even free WiFi! Next door to our guesthouse is a coffee shop by day and a music venue by night (which makes it louder than we invisaged) which thankfully shuts down promptly at 10pm.

Supper on the embankment
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 938 km (582 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0