Chiang Khong - back to work! - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2016

Chiang Khong - back to work!

We had two days left on our Thai visa exemptions and with some work requirements that had come through and the legs needing a rest after yesterdays hills in the heat we decided to spend the day in Chiang Khong and do some work.

We started work soon after six in the morning, had a few Skype calls with our business collegues back in South Africa and had the work wrapped up by late afternoon.

Then it was time to play and we went for a swim at Chiang Khong's Mekhong beach.

If you turn down towards the Mekhong at the 7-11 you will come across a lovely sandy beach where the locals swim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head off to Huay Xai to catch the slow boat to Luang Prabang - a new country beckons.

With regards to Chiang Khong, it seems like a town in transition. The opening of the 4th Friendship Bridge across the Mekhong appears to have affected falang tourism negatively. The main street falang hangouts are dead quiet and we had a rather depressing chat about the situation with the owners of the well known Bamboo Mexican Restuarant last night. On the other hand, the Rimkhong on the river front, another "name", was very busy with both local and Chinese patrons. Perhaps the town will simply change its focus to more regional tourism as time goes on. In the meantime, I am sure someone has scored a financial gain out of the building of the bridge and the closure of the ferry crossing.

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 1,044 km (648 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0