Bangkok to Phitsanoluk by train - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2016

Bangkok to Phitsanoluk by train

Despite giving it a good go, we couldn't get breakfast at the hotel before boarding the train this morning. Nonetheless, I'd still recommend the Srikung Hotel to anyone who needs to be a minute away from Hua Lampong station.

The train left only a few minutes late, but very soon we had an "incident" on the line which resulted in a long stop and two ambulances rushing to the scene. We eventually got to Phitsanoluk at about 2:45, an hour late. n general, the Thai national railways, SRT, does a great job with incredibly cheap prices and helpful staff who seem to genuinely care about the passengers.

The first hotel we found, a few hundred meters from the station, was the Asia. Somewhat tired and in need of a facelift but it looks like a classic from the fifties. Once again Thai hospitality made it easy, moving their car so we could stow the bikes in a safe place, and at 250 bhat we couldn't complain about the price (fan only but aircon is not really necessary in the cool old building).

Cycled down to the river to see the famous Buddha Chinnaraj at Wat Phra Si Mahathat Worawihan, a beautiful temple, and were fortunate to be able to spend some time listening to the evening chanting.

The Buddha Chinnaraj
Heart 1 Comment 0

Supper at one of the over-priced restuarants on the river front. We did the same thing in Phitsanoluk 5 years ago. Will we ever learn.

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 353 km (219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0