Bangkok to Petchaburi - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 9, 2016

Bangkok to Petchaburi

We woke up to the sound of an Asian Koel calling - one of the quintessential sounds of south east Asia. I started off the day by putting a tube into the back tyre of Leigh's bike. Then we set off into the crazy traffic heading for Bangkok!

Our first stop after about 25 kays was ProBike near Lumpini Park, just off Thanon Rama IV to buy some chain lube and to have the handlebars of Leigh's bike tightened. The tube that I fitted was leaking slowly and they pumped that up as well - free of charge. No sign of tyre sealant. I'll sort the leaking tube out when we get to Petchaburi.

The traffic in the area around Lumpini Park and on to Hua Lampong station was quite hectic but cycling in Bangkok was not half as bad as I was expecting. In fact, it was mostly quite fun. We should have spent more time taking photos but I guess we were both just a bit too focussed on getting to the station.

Once we had bought our train tickets, we grabbed some lunch in the station food hall. Great value for money at 40 bhat for a big plate of rice with red and green chicken curry.

Loaded the bikes into the goods van and took our seats alongside an amazing mix of locals in the third class carriage. A long, hot train journey that left on time but arrived an hour late.

To get your bike on the train, first buy your ticket making sure that the train will accept bikes. Then take your bike and your ticket to the "abnormal" luggage kiosk on the platform and for 80 bhat they will issue you with a voucher to get your bike onto the train and which you exchange to retrieve your bike at your final destination.

We found JJ House quite easily but they were full so we spent the night at the over-priced, crummy, mosquito infested hole next door called Sabaidee Resort. We will hopefully move into JJ House tomorrow.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 34 km (21 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0