Ayutthaya to Bangkok by train - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2016

Ayutthaya to Bangkok by train

We headed out to the reclining Buddha at Wat Lokkaya Sutharam before spending a couple of hours at Wat Pra Si Sanphet and the adjacent Vihara Pra Mongkon Bophit.

Ayutthaya has a special place in our hearts. Five years ago we had flown into Bangkok on our first visit to south east Asia and arrived with no firm plans. We stepped out of the terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport, looked at each other and said "What shall we do now ?". So after paging through a Rough Guide we had borrowed from our daughter-in-law we caught a minibus to Don Maueng station and then a train to Ayutthaya. Here we hired bicycles and everything else simply flowed from there.

So it was appropriate that after more than five thousand kilometers over almost four months we headed back to Bangkok from Ayutthaya by train.

We checked into the Srikung Hotel again, mainly because it was convenient and we were looking for a change from the Phra Athit area where we have stayed in the past. Maybe it wasn't the best choice because the roads in the area are in turmoil with a lot of ongoing construction. After a bit of reserach on the Internet about where to get our bikes boxed, we decided use Velo Thailand in Bang Lamphu to handle our bikes and to move back to the Pra Athit area, close to Bang Lampu, the next day.

The little wire bicycle meets the Reclining Buddha at Wat Lokkaya Sutharam.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 9 km (6 miles)
Total: 5,210 km (3,235 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0