The Sea Cruise: ....well, across Lake Michigan anyway - The Final Leg: A Sea Cruise, Niagara Falls, and Old Ironsides - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2012

The Sea Cruise: ....well, across Lake Michigan anyway

Revenna, Wi. city park. 9 pm. 68F. Sky filled with stars. Perfect day.

We pulled out of Paul's driveway about 10 am for 2.5 mile ride to the ferry. Lord, it felt good to be aboard the loaded bent again. Spoon agreed.

Harpo at ferry Terminal in Milwaukee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spoon canoodling on the Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spoon canoodling on the Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
12,000 horsepower wake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to Muskegon Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
USS Silversides in Muskegon Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pulled away from the dock at 12:30 for the 2.5 hour ride across Lake Michigan. No slouch this ferry. Cruised at 35 knots or 40 mph. Catamaran. We enjoyed the commaradarie of fellow captives which always encourages introductions and visiting.

Milwaukee
Heart 0 Comment 0

The entrance to Muskegon Harbor was scenic and interesting.

Spoon had struck up a conversation with a couple with large backpacks, out for the day on bicycles. Tom and Patty volunteered to shepard us to a paved bike trail that w ould take us the 20 miles to Ravenna. Good folks Tom and Patty.

Tom and Patty at trailhead
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail was flat and smooth with just a smattering of traffic afoot and on wheels. We could have easily wild camped in several places, but had heard about the city park in Revenna. So that's where we lands. Glad we did.

Musketawa Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Russ
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dave
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dave on his trike stopped to visit first. He and wife both have trikes, but don't tour. Then Russ stopped on his battery powered 3 wheeled scooter somethingorother. It will also roll along sans battery when you apply a swaying motion to it with your body. He'd won it for selling enough of them, sales being a sideline for Russ.

After much conjoling and shaming, Spoon finally agreed to fix dinner for us both. An agreement we'd had earlier which he claimed to have forgotten. While dinner was being prepared, Kelly I. called. We had a long chat about some sort of 'kangaroo'shoes' she and Jacinto had ordered. Apparently they let you stride about as if you were on the moon. Suppose to email us a video.

Daily angst: none. The bronchitis is much better.

Spoon talking:

Wow the Ferry crossing from Milwaukee to Muskegon, across lake Michigan was smooth as glass almost. Attendants said that last Thursday 150 folks on board were all throwing up! We sat in the premier class section but spent most of the time up on deck with the proletariat.

Spoon canoodling on the Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

Neat thing was we met another bicycle couple, hubby and spouse, who lived in Muskegon and they not only advised us of the route out of town, but decided to take us to it. Great people, Tom and Patty. They took us to the Musketawa trail, a paved beauty that took us the first 20 miles east. WE found a splendid little park in the village of Rawenna. Some visitors dropped by; one on a Terracycle trike and another on some sort of standing tri wheeled vehicle that was power assisted. We were the toast of the village, eh?

Quiz: How did we get across Lake Michigan? How long did it take? What trail did we ride when we left Muskegon?

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 25 miles (40 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0