GET ON THE SIDEWALK!: St Johns to Hadley - The Final Leg: A Sea Cruise, Niagara Falls, and Old Ironsides - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2012

GET ON THE SIDEWALK!: St Johns to Hadley

We made her day. In Grand Blanc, 4 lanes, turn lane, heavy traffic. We manuevered into traffic. Into the turn lane for the left. She is screaming "Get on the sidewalk you freakin' idiots." In retrospect, that's exactly where we should have been. Oh, well. Next time.

The weather was totally perfect, the riding amplified by a strong quartering tailwind. Arrived in Hadley about 6. After double dip ice cream from the parlor, we parked our tired butts in a vacant school yard for the night. Spoon was uncomfortable in the city park. Too many eyes. Low to be in upper 40's.

We connected with a bike shop in Owosso, MI comfortably west of Flint. Rick the owner ushered us right in and quickly had my wheels on the rack. Diagnosis: nothing serious. Better bearings might help. Rick's dad first owned the shop. Now it's Rick's. While there, his 82 year old mother Alice came in. She works in the shop. Fine, fine folks.

Daily angst: the Bennington highway to Grand Blanc is a 20 mile strip of terror

. No shoulder, very heavy, fast traffic. Worst stretch of highway I've ever ridden. It was bumpty too.

Harpo at Assenmacher's Cycling Center...it's gotta be wheel bearings that's slowing him down! And he ain't a happy camper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rick and mom, Alice, with his ancient 1952 Hawthorne that he commutes to work on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junk for sale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural Michigan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bread basket Michigan. And the a source of that damn ethanol contaminated gasoline we're forced to buy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden produce. Much later than in Texas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spoon proclaimed this to be a sleeping weasel along the Death Highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the heavy traffic and white line for a shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spoon's behind the utility pole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Retired fire tower. They use airplanes now. Drones in the near future.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a Great Picture. Somebody better rate it as such.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Idyllic Hadley Park...perfect camping for the night. Not.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Quiz: What did we treat ourselves to in Hadley? How old is Rick's mom? What state were we in?

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 188 miles (303 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0