Garden Belt of Ontario: Silversprings to Port Dover - The Final Leg: A Sea Cruise, Niagara Falls, and Old Ironsides - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2012

Garden Belt of Ontario: Silversprings to Port Dover

Up and at'em to escape before the rangers caught us. Nobody at the ranger station when we rolled in. No drop box. Soon, an old fellow with his Golden Lab in a pickup drove up. We chatted for a bit. He says "Well, since you guys are so ambitious, I'll not collect a fee. Try to be away by 7:30 though." (All that was yesterday evening.)

Nothing would do but we stop at our first Tim Hortons. Fast food joints all over

Canada. The food was good and served fast enough. Lots of folks in the place. Things went downhill when we discovered there were no public access receptacles to charge our gadgets, including this puter, which died before I could finish the blog for yesterday. Sorry Tim. You're behind the times.

Other than some furious pedaling, and a couple of very steep hills, nothing much

happened on this another perfect Fall day. Lunch in Walsingham at The Dancing Pig, an organic food place, host Susan tending the business. I think she was glad to have a customer. We ate/drink some odd 'organic' stuff and did a lot of visiting with Susan, who had lost her husband 7 years ago to a congenital heart defect. There was a shaded bench out front. Any store with a bench/table is a good stop.

We passed lots and lots of tobacco, bean, and corn fields. And some odd looking

plots where folks were raising ginseng. Fresh farm produce in stands all along.

Yards full of colorful flowers. We stopped at a neat, stocked with produce and organic goods, produce stand called the "Dancing Pig". The manager, Susan, was the only signs of life anywhere around it. Spoon was famished and almost out of eats, so we both had lots of farm fresh foods such as ripe tomatoes, peppers, grapes etc, topped off with organic bars and special drinks.The garden belt of Ontario.

Laying up for the night at this big ole hotel facing Lake Erie in Port Dover.

Room just ok for $120. (What's this about no microwaves in hotel rooms up here?Spoon needs one to "do his eyes.")Food in dining room good. Spoon will replenish his gin today and let me have a shot tonight if I pay him for it. Unlike him, I don't drink alone, so will not be hauling any more of my SouthernComfort. We'll part company in NF.

Pictures with cp. Sparse until I get back into the US and a Walmart or pawn shop

for a new cam.

Daily angst: Nearly losing my passport, twice, after leaving my toilet kit, where it's stowed, on the rack pack. Fortunately, I heard it hit the pavement.

Tobacco harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tobacco drying barns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Susan and Harpo at the Dancing Pig
Heart 0 Comment 0

Quiz: What was it about Tim Hortons we did not like? What unusual herb type plant did we see growing in Ontario? What lake is Port Dover on? What did I nearly lose twice?

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 407 miles (655 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0