Central Lakes Trail - PedalPushin “The Final Two” 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2023

Central Lakes Trail


We have been enjoying re-cycling Minnesota. Today’s target was the Central Lakes Trail that runs from Fergus Falls south and actually connects to the Lake Wobegon Trail we cycled yesterday. As we were also planning to meet some old Alaskan friends later in the day, we going a bit earlier and only cycled from Fergus Falls to Ashby and back. 

Rolling farmland …
Heart 0 Comment 0
… on all sides
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately today’s trail was a bit of a letdown. Although the trail was wide and nicely graded, the cracks were prominent and unending. Different sections were better or worse but they seemed to never go away. But the highlight of the trail was the Purple Heart Chapel. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Purple Heart Chapel is a small building that one family built to remember various military members and their sacrifices dating back to the Civil War.  It was very well done and a small tribute those fallen members. They also maintain a small cooler with cold water for trail users which was quite handy in the high 80’s heat. 

The ride back seemed quicker and it was nice to have the sun at our backs helping it to feel slightly cooler. With a little maintenance this trail would definitely be a delight but until that time, there are quite a few nearby trails that are simply nicer. 

Worst cracks near Ashby
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 99 miles (159 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0