Day Twenty One: Arnhem - Rijnstate: (Year 21: 1988) - Grampies Go 50 for 50 Fall 2017 - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2017

Day Twenty One: Arnhem - Rijnstate: (Year 21: 1988)

Flash Back to 1988:

The year looms large in our lives because we started construction of our house on the land purchased the previous year. The small farm and heritage house that we had lived in for the previous dozen years was dear to us all, but now a new era would begin, and last almost 30 years, up to the present.

A big year, in which we started building a house on the new land. Walter and Steve are at work in the top photo. Walter surely used his favorite expression "Just bang it on, Steve!".
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following high school graduation, Joni first went to France, the beginning of a long association with it. Sadly my father, who spent his working life in French and loved wine, never summoned the courage to go overseas.

It can be natural for the children and grandchildren to push further than the parents.

Joni, in blue, graduates high school, and promptly heads off to France.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Laurie too, at 16, had moved to her own apartment with her friend Catherine. This allowed her to finish school in our old location, though the family was moving 30 km further north.

-----

Fast Forward to 2017, the Netherlands:

Rijnstate is the name of the hospital in Arnhem. It is run by the Province, which is Gelderland, as I assume are the other Dutch hospitals. The name sounds like a college football team to me - Rhine State. Unlike a football team, though, where you might find a lot of rah rah, this place is just quietly terrific. The building, the equipment, the staff, the food - really we could not note any area for improvement. Of course we do not know the deep details - like which specialities are covered and which are lacking, or just exactly how brilliant or not the doctors are when it comes to tough cases. But for us, it's perfect. Even I am feeling healthier here and I did not come in sick! It really is a big difference. In a hospital like Victoria's Royal Jubilee, if visiting I am eager to escape, because the place is such a downer.

I called in to Dodie and did not get an answer. I see why. Her room has a controller that is a phone, tv control, call button, and room lights control in one. I could not figure it out either! (The side not in the photo is also covered in buttons.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
I chose this for lunch. It was cranberry felafel, roast vegetables, lentils, sprouts, and chickpeas. Really nice. Desert was a kind of mocha cream tarte and good coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I called early this morning, and the nurses were not able to claim any dramatic change in Dodie's condition or give a diagnosis. That freaked me right out, and I charged up the hill to the hospital to be closer to the scene. But yes, the situation is vague. Except that Dodie has been slowly improving and might be close to declaring herself fine. One "piece" is missing still - her bowels need to move and they need to analyse the product!

These cows with Arnhem in the background give the impression that it is a very rural place. The cows are part of the Sonsbeek park and not really a commercial operation. Still everyone remarks on them, even our taxi driver.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It turns out that to stay at Rijnstate there is a flat rate (for foreigners, I guess) of about 2000 euros. For that you seem to get all the services, tests, meals, and the room for up to five days. It's a good deal, really. I have just filled out the ten pages of forms sent by our insurance to the financial lady downstairs. Maybe this is a smaller place than I think, because the financial lady is just that, a lady with a computer in an office off the main atrium. Very accessible, and not a giant department full of clerks.

There seemed to be no problem for the Canadian insurance to link up with the financial lady here, and I think after doing the forms there will be direct payments and no hassle for us.

I am happy that Dodie has found comfort from Sam, the stuffed dog, who is now sleeping with her all the time. I went and took a snapshot of some of Sam's litter mates all equally cute. One day soon Dodie will no doubt give up Sam to a grandchild.

Sam's litter mates. Surprisingly they are also named Sam!
Heart 0 Comment 0

People have responded positively to our off beat idea of including a retrospective with each page of this special blog. One guestbook message from Lily said that these reminded her of one of her own favourite songs, "The Early Days" by award winning Canadian musician Chris (Old Man) Luedeke. This became an instant favourite with us. Have a listen, if you have kids you will feel the same:

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0