A Wee bit of Riding: A lot more reading! - Searching for Fidel (Tour 9) - 2009 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

January 4, 2009

A Wee bit of Riding: A lot more reading!

I was back with a vengeance this morning and headed to the buffet for breakfast as soon as it was open. Maria was there and she asked if we could visit her family's home on Tuesday. We confirmed Tuesday as the day, then we headed to the beach to snorkel out on the reef. It was awesome today as the winds and seas had calmed.

It was then we chose to cycle in the heat of the day to go back to the family we met yesterday to give the young boy some gifts - peanut butter since he had told us he had never tried it before, a pen, a notepad, and an apple from the hotel. He was thankful for the gifts but we did not linger and headed back down the hill to the hotel. By now, both of us were so totally engrossed in our books that we spent a lot of the day relaxing by the pool reading our books - I don't think I have read as much as when I am in Cuba.

An interesting note was the encounter we had with Carlos the security guard by the hotel's main entrance. In halting English he was asking us how we were, how our vacation was, if we had kids, and then told us that his little boy is turning one tomorrow. He proudly showed us his son's photograph. We had no toys with us to give for the birthday, still we got a few things for them - a notepad, pencil and some children's Tylenol which is very hard to find in Cuba. He was very thankful for the gift.

For tomorrow's bicycle ride to Canasi we packed two big bags of donation items. One will go to the medical centre and the other will go to individual homes the way we did two days ago. Another stop will be to bring the photos of the children to the school.

A whole lot more of this view than from at the handlebars
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 47 km (29 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0