Do we really have that much luggage! - Far too much luggage - CycleBlaze

April 15, 2024

Do we really have that much luggage!

... yeah we do!

Another adventure and another blog, hopefully this one will be easier to read and follow and easier for me to use!

We are less than a week away from our flight to Darwin and then a leisurely ride down to Perth (not via the Gibb road) to see some Quokkas (and Neils cousins Judy and Mike) and then across the Nullabor, Port Augusta and then onwards to home here in Bendigo.  This should take us around 4 1/2 months.

It is not until you assemble your gear to take and then try and pack it for a flight that you really realise that shit you really do have "far too much lugguage."  Mind you we have always carried this much stuff!  After a quick and feeble cull we narrowed it down to fitting into 2 bike boxes, 2 large bags and 1 coffin size bag for the 2 trailers!  

I worked on trying to squeeze this lot into bag 1 and 2 (the 3rd is for the trailers)

yeah we really do have alot of stuff!
Heart 2 Comment 0
everything is compartmentalised
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I managed to squeeze it all into bag 1 and 2
Heart 1 Comment 0
Meanwhile the coffin has the 2 trailers and the empty front pannier bags
Heart 1 Comment 0

While I did the packing Neil packed up the 2 bikes into their boxes.  The front racks came off as did the handle bar to be rotated.  

We are flying with Virgin Airlines and their lugguge is 1 bag at 23kg and they don't charge extra for bikes so long as the bike is within the weight range.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Only the bike and racks and a few empty bottles can fit into the box before it starts heading over the 23kg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last but not least assembling the tool kit.

tool kit
Heart 0 Comment 0

We fly this coming Saturday 20 April to Darwin where it is around 32-36 (celcius) degrees each day and very warm nights around 25 degrees.  Once we start heading down to Katherine the temps will drop by a degree or 2.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt is easier to have less weight if not camping, but where you are travelling the distances between stops make camping a necessity. You did really well given the constraints.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago