Our first day of exploring the region with our tour guides Cora, Justin and Clara - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2013

Our first day of exploring the region with our tour guides Cora, Justin and Clara

It's Monday and Georg's 4 week holiday is at an end. Georg works in Bonn, a long commute from their home near Limburg, starting very early in the morning by bicycle (20 km each way) and train.
Cora, Clara and Justus took us on walks and tours of their area. We really enjoyed spending time with them and with Georg as well in the evening when he got home.
We feel so fortunate that we met this family while camping along the Rhine. A chance meeting of fellow recumbent enthusiasts has lead to a wonderful friendship with this family.

This hill with rocks up the slope presents an interesting geologic anomaly - there is snow at the bottom and visible behind the grates. The cold air can be felt from where we are standing - very refreshing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snow on a 30 plus celsius degree day in July.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An explanation for how this phenomenon occurs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signposts in the forest - we followed the trail to the Kelten (Celtic) Wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora, Clara and Justus took us on a walk in the forest - a beautiful area and cool in the shade of the trees. We were on our way to see the remains of a site of a Celtic settlement, dating before Roman times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clara found a cool spot with a good vantage point on our walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful view of the surrounding rolling landscape from our walk in the forest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last year, we saw many of these huts on stilts while riding along the Danube. We imagined that they were for bird watchers, but Cora clarified that these are for hunters!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora shared a wealth of knowledge about the area where they live. She is explaining the history of the area in relation to the Roman and Celts who lived here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We often see 20+C+M*13 above doorways to businesses and homes written in chalk. We learned so much from Cora, Georg and their family. They explained that every year, this is written to bless this house. Clara and Justus do this for people in their village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We visited the Marienstatt (Place of Our Lady) Monastery, founded in 1212 and we were able to sit in the church while the monks and a nun sang the vespers (call and response) from ancient books. The church is the oldest building in the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This monastery is a Cistercian Abbey. The monks and nun sat in these choir stalls made in the 14th century....beautiful accoustics and a moving experience.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sound of the pipe organ resonated with wonderful depth. The Rieger pipe organ was added in 1969 in order to support the chants of the monks and the congregation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the monks devote themselves to tending the gardens and grounds of the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gates leading to the gardens at the Monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monks have a brewery at the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brewery at the monastery - Barry wants to give the beer a try!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora and Justin ordered their favourite beverage: orange Fanta mixed with Coke. They call it Mezze.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a multi step process to pour a beer - Germans respect beer and take their time to present you with a perfect glass of beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with the Reitz family - a feast of wonderful meats, cheese, bread, veggies and pickles. We feel so lucky to be welcomed into their home....an unforgettable part of our trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0