Eitzendorf to Berne: A long day of riding with beautiful countryside and dodging the crowds in historic Bremen - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2013

Eitzendorf to Berne: A long day of riding with beautiful countryside and dodging the crowds in historic Bremen

The town of Bremen is a historic wonderland of interesting architecture, an impressive market square and much folklore surrounding the Musicians of Bremen folktale. We were a bit shell shocked however when we arrived as the crowds of people were unbelievable. Huge trucks were parked around the historic centre setting up lights and stages for the annual music festival. This congestion along with thousands of visitors made it difficult for us to navigate our bike to sightsee. We took in some of the sights and then escaped to the countryside.

We arrived at Camping Juliuspate direct on the Weser, once again deighted to see familiar cyclists. The couple from Nuremburg were there, as well as a group whom we had camped beside at Eitzendorf.
The campground here is meticulously run by a couple - thoughtful touches like a pot of coffee (2.40 euros) and fresh buns in the morning make this place feel right. As well, we love the hedges that provide privacy and the provision of picnic tables for cyclists. We have been very impressed generally, by the high standard of camping along the Weser for a low price. Often we pay under 10 euros for the two of us.

The trail in this area is less well cared for - many bumps and the vegetation needs to be trimmed back - the flowers are pretty though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A field of gladioli - a beautiful sight
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow!! Unusual! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This swan and her offspring are busy grooming.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI thought they were statues for a moment!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We see so many horses in rural Germany.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bucolic Weser River - so pretty
Heart 1 Comment 0
German homes have such wonderfully tended gardens - this man is taking much care with his balcony garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have seen towns with decorated animals as a theme for their town - storks, birds, horses,etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stork in her nest
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltCool - a stork! I've heard they are plentiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
An example of the type of road we had today - we were grateful when we had a smooth area on the side of the cobbles, even if it is gravel. Even speed bumps are made of cobbles which can be a challenge.
When the area is cobbled, you can see where bikes have made their own path on the side to avoid the cobbles.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh and cobblestones when wet are treacherous!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We are amazed to be travelling through villages with such a long history - over 1000 years old.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's amazing....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
We caught this horse's attention briefly.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like the horse is talking to you! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The industrial area before Bremen was well routed, even though we briefly got lost. The smell of coffee roasting was a good thing for us. Beck's Beer is brewed here as well - recently bought by an American brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman is typical of German hospitality. We asked her for directions and she proceeded to turn around and ride with us to ensure that we found our way.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice of her!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bremen, the Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a huge cathedral!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A statue of the musicians of Bremen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A detail of the stonework outside the Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The front door of the Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful inside! I love going in old churches when overseas! Sometimes you manage to catch a concert too! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus in Bremen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail on the front of the Rathaus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Preparing the sound and stage for the upcoming Music Festival
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped to watch a field full of storks feeding as the tractor tilled the soil. Some came close to being run over as they waited until the last moment to move.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Cathedral in Bremen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most famous statue in Bremen -
Heart 0 Comment 0
Touching it brings you good luck.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWe can all use a bit of good luck!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 94 km (58 miles)
Total: 1,490 km (925 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0