Departure day from the farm - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2013

Departure day from the farm

Reflections on our time with the Reitz family...
Travelling, when it is good, is full of days with good food, laughter, learning the ways and customs of where you are, seeing interesting sights and sharing conversation. Our time with the Reitz family was that and so much more.
We feel that it was a privilege to be invited in to their home and treated like guests and then ultimately like one of the family. We learned so much, had long conversations about life in our home countries and really enjoyed getting to know them.
When we arrived, Mary Ellen was not feeling very strong or healthy and cycling on was not a pleasant prospect. However, after our stay (we thought we'd stay 1 or 2 nights but that grew into 5 days), we are both leaving feeling refreshed and ready to cycle some miles and see new country.
Our bedroom was like a library, full of books as well as travel maps and guides. Cora's knowledge of German cycle routes helped us to solidify our plans for the rest of our trip. Rather than cycling the Mosel this year, we are going to cycle on the Main River to Frankfurt after Mainz, take the train to Kassell and then follow the Weser on to Hamburg. After that we are planning to have a few weeks in Denmark (one of Barry's favourite memories cycling with his family) and then finish up in Holland for 2 or 3 weeks. Originally, we had thought of riding the Fulda River (after Frankfurt and before the Weser) but being so close to Denmark is too tantalizing to resist. So until we change our minds!! this will be our route.
We will miss this family, but we hope to see them again - here or in Canada!

Saying farewell is so bittersweet - Clara, Justus, Cora and Georg's mother.Cora is going to ride with us to Limburg and take the train to Luneburg to help us on our way.When we arrived at the Limburg train station a week ago, they kindly took our trailer and panniers (as well as Mary Ellen!) so that the ride would be easier over "monster hills" to their home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're on our way - it's fun to have a ride with Cora on her impressive Hase recumbent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Standing by the Lahn River at Weilburg - "Team Icebreaker"
Heart 0 Comment 0
German trains are kind to cyclists - even tandems.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This trip has been filled with exceptional moments - this couple, Brigitte and Uli, were taking the train with the intent of riding down the Lahn River for 3 days. In talking to them, they said that they had visited Canada...Saltspring Island and asked if we knew their friend. As it turned out, we do know their friend and she was Barry's nurse at our local hospital for 5 days. What a small world it can be.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Uli's Canada cap - a souvenir of their trip to Saltspring Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for the train at Limburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Field trip of pre-schoolers - reminds Barry of why he retired!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Limburg is having a summer beach festival this weekend. Truckloads of sand have been brought in - beach volleyball, music and games for the kids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding with Cora to Limburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campground at Runkel on the Lahn River. Indian teepees are also for rent for campers who don't want to tent. We were the only bicycle tourists as the rest of the campers were travelling down the river by canoe. By evening, the campground was full. This is where Cora left us to cycle home. A bittersweet parting, but as I said to Cora, this is not good bye, rather it is farewell until we meet again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 785 km (487 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0