A long day of travel - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2013

A long day of travel

It is hard to believe that our day of departure is upon us. It has been a bit of a strange start as we have spent the previous week not sure if we would be able to go. Once we got the "all clear" from Mary Ellen's doctor, we quickly finished our packing, did the last minute household tasks and headed in to Victoria.

The Saltspring Island ferry will take us to Vancouver Island to see Mary Ellen's mom before going to the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Saltspring Island on our new adventure
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen and her mom in Victoria B.C.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The PCL bus from Victoria to the Vancouver Airport is a really good service. However, a change to their routine caused one passenger much distress. At Tssawwassen terminal, we had to switch buses - there was much confusion, some delays and one passenger almost missed her flight. We're relieved that we left a 4 hour buffer before our flight.

Mary Ellen and our bike, trailer and panniers waiting for the bus in Victoria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike and trailer cost us extra baggage on the bus - but we're happy to be on our way. Barry is always happiest when he has a coffee!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful day for a ferry ride - we're crossing from Victoria to Vancouver (past our home island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vancouver Airport - the fabulous sculpture (jade?)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Flying Club Class with Air Transat is worth the extra charge. Some of the perks are extra baggage allowance and preferred (quick) check in and security clearance. We were pleased that our tandem cost us only $30 as its weight greatly exceeded the limit. Once on the plane, we were so pleased to have lots of room, comfortable large seats, good food and incredible service.

We're comfortably esconced in Club Class - and glad to have the extra leg room at the front.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry looking forward to the flight and his welcome aboard drink.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sleeping is next to impossible, so we watched movies and ate a great deal of food.

Our first glimpse of Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were surprised to see this fellow unwrap his bike and ride away at the Schiphol Airport.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI have flown with my bike like that - just wrapped in plastic, and it did fine. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

As promised, Hans (of our B&B) met us at the gate and was able to transport our trailer and bike to his house. We found our accommodation through the Dutch organization, Verlinder op de fiets,(Friends of Cyclists) a bike friendly network of B&B's which caters only to cycling/hiking travellers. It features accommodation in a home (breakfast included), with guaranteed bike storage, a maximum charge of 19.95 euros per person and dinner if needed at 9 euros. Mieke provided us with a wonderful dinner of moussaka, salad, wine and dessert...a wonderful introduction to this bike friendly nation.

Hans and Meike, our wonderful hosts in Amstelveen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is wonderful to be in Holland. We are staying in a small community, Amstelveen. The only downside is that we are very jet lagged and are struggling to find the energy to assemble our bike and get ready to travel. We'll leave that for tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0