EU roads - Sights Set On Morocco (Under A Hot Sun) - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2014

EU roads

Smooth surfaced, nice wide shoulder; a big improvement on the patchy, lumpy. shoulderless A-roads in The North.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun is shining on leaving Derry this morning, but it isn't shorts and tee-shirt weather because of a cooling northerly breeze off the Atlantic. By midmorning ominous dark cloud rolls in making it even cooler and I stop and reach into the pannier for the warm fleece top. But fears of rain dissipated and approaching noon it brightens up to become a fine day.

I take the road for Letterkenny, then turn off upon a minor road following the river Foyle and after crossing into The Republic, join road N15 for Sligo. The difference in road quality is striking; a smooth and even surface and a car wide shoulder to ride upon, unlike the lumpy chip, uneven surface so prevailing of A-roads in the North.

I'd originally planned on riding more in The North, south through County Fermanagh, but remaining on this lovely smooth rolling road is too tempting. There come one last chance to cross back over the border and recommit to that plan, when the road dipped down into a village with a turn off for Castlederg. For a moment I couldn't decide whether to turn off as I first pass, then turn around mounting the pavement and freewheel back to the street corner. A woman walking around the corner, stops at the curb edge to crossover, asks "Are you lost?" I reply "No. I'm just wondering is it a good idea to turn here"; to which she asks "Where do you want to get to?" "Galway, then further south." This didn't bring the more usual dumbfounded stare followed by an exclaimation of amazement, but she replies "I would remain on the main road if I were you. Not long ago I rode Mizen to Malin" this is the Irish end-to-end ride and she is a long distance cyclist too no doubt as she continues "and I stayed on the main roads the whole way".

The rolling green hills, a patchwork of fields give way to rugged dark green hills and mountains further on as the road gradually climbs. Shortly after two, I cycle off along a little laneway parallel, which must've been the original road, to lunch on cheese sandwiches. I couldn't sit longer than it took to eat, because of being eaten by midgets. Only a little further the road passes through what a brown sign at the roadside calls "Gap of Barnesmore" and begins gently descending with wildflowers colouring the verges and a little stream on the left and pine clad slopes rising to ridges either side. At about this point there is a rest place with picnic tables, which would've been a better place to lunch away from the midget attracting rushes and dwarf willows further back.

The road by-passes Donegal town where at a roundabout I stop at a Lidl to buy more water. Then pass the seaside resort of Bundoran, where a little after the shoulder is reduced to a narrow bike wide strip. I don't much fancy riding further at this point with the increased danger of passing cars. It is around seven and I'm on the look out for a place to camp. A long gateway into a field would do. Minutes later I come to an open gateway into a recently cut hayfield with a short yellow turf and a hedge to screen my tent from the road.

The Gap of Barnesmore: County Donegal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Common roadside flora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selective focus and blur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Curiousity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tractor Tramlines.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 382 km (237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0