Torbole to Trento: Easy riding on the Via Claudia Augusta - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2017

Torbole to Trento: Easy riding on the Via Claudia Augusta

Leaving Lago di Garda was tough. We have been blessed with such amazing weather and such great people. It was time to head north though, so off we went, but not before another amazing breakfast. We said goodbye to Daniela and Andy who are headed back to Karlsruhe today, fetched the bikes from their spacious accommodation in the bike garage and started pedalling. We were doing the ride over San Giovanni Pass in reverse, so the navigating was straightforward. It is interesting how a track looks completely different in the opposite direction.

At the top of the hill, about to head out. Maybe this is why Iatalian drivers don't like cyclists? we certainly haven't had any problems, but we move over for the cars. Note the 10% grade sign to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at the view. There were dozens of small boats on the lake, and we know they had been there since about 7:30 AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through a cute little village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We certainly moved out of this farmer's way, and he gave us a cheerful wave for our efforts and courtesy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a big climb, but a pass none the less.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Giovanni himself we think.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we were back on the Via Claudia Augusta. What a track. We were swimming upstream a bit, since we were gradually gaining elevation and we had the wind against us. It was Saturday and the Giro de Italia in their dreams spandex set were out in full force. Keith and I were having so much fun...I had a permanent grin...the spandex set were very serious about their cycling.

Um, fellows, this is supposed to be fun!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Are we having a good time?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serious bunch. A couple of times Keith played games with them by increasing his speed as they approached and making them really work to pass. They are out there biking though, and I bet they have fun over the beer after. They just don't look like they are enjoying the bike ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Claudia Augusta is a fantastic surface, well marked and the scenery is beautiful. We could have biked all day, but we haven't seen Trento and that was our goal. What a great city this is. We followed the river into the old town, checked in to the hotel and headed up to tour the castle that overlooks the town. Next was the Duomo, followed by Campari Spritzers and people watching. We sat at a cafe beside the Duomo...it was amazing. Then we wandered the streets of the old town. The number of people out in the pedestrian areas was astounding.

A spectacular castle looming over the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike path art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everything is so well laid out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We knew exactly where we were thanks to this sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Trento along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stuff to look at everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new building with a living wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was full of art .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is late enough in the season that it wasn't crowded.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shopping area was hopping though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Duomo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this staircase inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our people watching spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went back to the hotel briefly and then out for dinner. It has been another fantastic day. Here is the Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1229528567

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,322 km (1,442 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0