Torbole to Brozza: Exploring the neighbourhood - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2017

Torbole to Brozza: Exploring the neighbourhood

The CN surprised me this morning by suggesting we stay put. We are in a stunning hotel with a stunning view in a stunning part of the world with stunning weather. That was pretty much his case and it was a compelling one. Not that I was a hard sell. I was delighted. I am so grateful that we don't over plan our trips and we have this flexibility. So instead of loading up the bikes we took off down the hill unloaded to explore. Not before the ten jammer breakfast though.

Easy to wake up to this view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Suitably fuelled up our first stop was Torbole. We zipped around the little town and spent more time reading the excellent information signs about the history of the town. Then we cruised to Riva del Garda on a simply fantastic bike path. We passed sailing schools, windsurfing schools and mountain bike schools. If it is an outdoors sporting pursuit, you can find it here. It has such a great feel.

There are so many people biking here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped on the way down to climb an old castle turret that was used as a look out and shelter in WW2.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike jersey anyone?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windsurfing lessons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And sailing lessons.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Riva del Garda is bigger than Torbole, but they kind of blend together if you know what I mean. Then off to Arco we went. Oh my. First, I had no idea there were so many castles in the area, so the already stupendous views of the mountains were enhanced by random old stuff. The bike path was just fantastic. I loved Arco. Its number one draw is climbing and I have never seen so many climbing stores anywhere. It has a charming old town, and a not so charming but you need this stuff industrial zone - you see it all on a bike - and it has gelato. Of course all of Italy has gelato but Arco is where we indulged today. Not until the return trip though, as we carried on through Dro.

Beautiful random old stuff. This is the castle that overlooks Arco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To the right of the bike path, just sitting there looking amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This ride was just pure pleasure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back of the church in Arco.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somewhere past Dro we passed a charming spot called Bike and Wine. Lunch! I was hungry and when Keith suggested we share I wanted a panini all to myself. When they came we couldn't believe it. They were seriously huge, so as a result we have tomorrow's lunch in the bag, literally. I am going to miss having my lunches in vineyards in Italy. After lunch we reversed direction...this is supposed to be a rest day...and headed back to the lake. We stopped in Arco for that ice cream, and in Torbole for a Campari Spritzer before heading up the hill.

They know how to feed hungry cyclists here. A huge panini and a glass of crisp white with grapevines for a bike rack. Perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bicycle family soaking up the sun at Bike and Wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the pedestrian area in Arco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does this look safe to you? We stood well back and watched in astonishment as these buckets and clay roofing tiles went up on a wooden pallet, unsecured. No problems though, they arrived safely.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tea and pastries on the terrace, a visit to the pool (for the view, not a swim) and then relaxing on our private terraces - we have three - in shorts, a tee shirt and bare feet it is so warm. Then off we went for a buffet dinner of traditional food for this area. An absolutely fantastic day. La dolce vita.

Every afternoon in the lobby just to tempt us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yup, I am happy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pool with a view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here are Daniela and Andy, our wonderful seat mates at breakfast and dinner. We really enjoyed meeting them. We must stay in touch.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is the Relive:
https://www.relive.cc/view/1228255160

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,276 km (1,413 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0