Oberwald: Laziest bike tour day ever - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2017

Oberwald: Laziest bike tour day ever

There are rest days and there are rest days. We usually spend ours walking many kilometres around some amazing spot. This one we spent resting. We have made the decision to tackle the Furka Pass and today it was bucketing with rain, cold, foggy and windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny for the most part, so we opted to stay put in Oberwald. No point in tackling the Pass if we can't see anything.

Oberwald is beautiful and teeny. It is off season here and we think we are the only guests in the hotel tonight. We talked about taking the train to Munster for the day, but the weather was so bad that we bailed on that idea. Instead our day has consisted of a visit to tourist information, the one sporting goods store in Oberwald that is open and the grocery store. The sun came out in the late afternoon and we went for a walk, but it started to rain again and we headed back to the hotel and had a nap instead.

We enjoyed our very brief tour of the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool little town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These stairs conform to no known building code.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The leaning house of Oberwald.
Heart 0 Comment 0
People do live in these houses. Note the contemporary door to the right of this house. I wonder what the interiors are like? I imagine rather special.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had dinner in the only restaurant open in town...ate there last night too for obvious reasons. Tonight's dinner was the best we have had this trip. The Hotel Furka has a fantastic restaurant, which is a rather good thing when it is your only choice.

Why don't remember to take the picture before we start eating? This was excellent venison for Keith and an amazing soup, terrine and salad for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sky has cleared and the wind has died. The forecast for 8 AM is 2 degrees C. I have told the CN if the weather isn't good tomorrow we hop on the train, but we are both keen for a crack at the pass. I think it is more suited to road bikes, but what the heck. At least we know we will be warm on the way up. The descent will be chilly. Onwards and upwards! We will sleep well again tonight to the sounds of the Swiss cows and their bells.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0