Nuits St. George to Beaune and Meursault: Soaked to the Beaune - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2017

Nuits St. George to Beaune and Meursault: Soaked to the Beaune

We loved our accommodation in Nuits St. Georges, and breakfast this morning did not disappoint. We were joined by a lovely young couple from the Netherlands, their incredibly well behaved dog and the most beautiful baby. It was such a nice way to start the day.

The breakfast room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our breakfast companions. Clever family, they are on their way to Provence.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather forecast wasn't great, but Keith and I really wanted to do a loop around the area that we missed last time we were here. What a beautiful part of the world this is. We started out on a D road that we had almost completely to ourselves. It bordered the Foret Domaniale de Citeaux. Yes, I had to look up the spelling on the map. Our goal was the Abbaye de Citeaux.

Approaching the Abbaye from behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the entrance to the Abbaye. Unfortunately it is Sunday today, so tours are only in the afternoon. In addition to that, while exploring the grounds, look what happened.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh for Pete's sake!
Heart 0 Comment 0
So we decided to have lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It really was pelting down.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was back on the D road towards the big black clouds. In the morning we were lucky to avoid the rain but not so in the afternoon. The rain was on and off, but fairly steady. We certainly kept our eyes open for shelter as we rode.

I love the D roads in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful just the same.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Easy riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cruised through a number of villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Any port in a storm. Keith ran across the street in the rain to take this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had several more bail under a tree moments (or whatever was available) through the rest of the afternoon, but the rain couldn't spoil what an amazing place this is to ride. We watched the grapes being harvested and had a conversation with one of the supervisors...I asked if all the rain is bad for the harvest but he assured me the grapes will be just fine. Just lots more mud involved in the harvesting. Well, that's a relief. I was worried about all that future wine.

We were riding a Tour de France D road for a time. The Tour was in Nuits St. Georges on July 7. There is still lots of evidence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chris Froome's bike ended up on this fence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A dramatic sculpture at a very expensive chateau/hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the vineyards. We were riding through the Grand Cru vineyards here. We love riding through vineyards. You climb a little and get such amazing views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We visited here four years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lest you think I was exaggerating about the rain, there was also this. Keith rode through it, nearly came off his bike, and this puddle was deep. Safety first! I choose the grassy verge. Disaster averted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our way forward. Isn't it amazing? We just kept exclaiming to each other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy grape harvesters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grinning in the grapes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building was phenomenal. A large grape leaf window at the front, and a vineyard on the roof. A winery of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My oh my. We are happy. It is so much fun, even in the rain. In fact the rain makes you feel a little bit epic hehe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Future wine being harvested here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before another soaking. Do you see any shelter? I don't see any shelter! We found a tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eye candy everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time to get to Meursault.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the end, we just kept riding through the lighter rain until Beaune, where we felt like we had arrived in Disneyland. Stores were open! On a Sunday in France! and I was grateful because I got a large coffee and Keith had a hot chocolate before the final few km to Meursault. Hot tea, a hot shower and a delicious dinner with good wine awaited us.

Les chefs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner by candle light.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 982 km (610 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0