Lausanne to St. Maurice: Vineyards and valley - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2017

Lausanne to St. Maurice: Vineyards and valley

The CN and I both agree, the best day on our bikes we have ever had. Ever. Absolutely unbelievable all day long. We climbed 1125 m today and we didn't even notice because it was so gorgeous. We are staying tonight in a Franciscan Monastery and the wifi seems a bit shaky, so it may be awhile before I can download photos, but trust me, they won't do the scenery justice. What a day.

Our breakfast at the hotel was an 8 jammer...clearly breakfast in Switzerland will be an upgrade from France. We left Lausanne with no drama and very early on had a decision to make. Stay by the lake on a great bike lane on the highway or up into the vines. I voted for the vineyards and the CN agreed. Best decision ever.

This is the street our hotel, Hotel de la Gare was on. It was a super place to stay. In the affordable range, clean, comfortable and with amazing front desk staff. They were just great.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The picture downloading isn't working, the one above having taken fifteen minutes, so on with the narrative. Once we were out of Lausanne, which is such a beautiful city, we headed up into the vineyards. It is impossible to describe. The CN said "This is spectacular" so that gives you an idea. We went up and up, and each vista and village involves more superlatives than I have in my vocabulary. The thing is, on your bike you can stop anywhere. The best way to see it. We met a lovely woman out walking who kept catching up with us. She finally suggested that maybe we should walk too. That is how often we stopped to take pictures or just look at the views.

Next came Montreux. Another gorgeous spot. We dropped down and down out of the vineyards into the land of jazz musicians and fantastic hotels. It was such fun and so beautiful. Almost like a fantasy. The lake sparkled, the views back up were inspiring and our heads were on a swivel.

After that we were in the valley. Mountains on either side, next to the Rhone and loving every minute. We went by spectacular castles and unbelievable scenery. We were going at such a snail's pace because it was so amazing that finally we had to kick it up a notch, but that was fun too. The bike path was such an amazing surface and so well signed that we just spun and spun, me slowing down only when Keith stopped to take another picture.

We arrived in St. Maurice and have checked ourselves in with the Franciscan Monks. Dinner is included and it was so good I practically swooned. What an unbelievable day this has been.

Up into the vineyards. With the grapes all around and the lake below, the steep terrain, it was astonishing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We could hardly believe what we were seeing and we have cycled lots of vineyards. There was so much to look at it was hard to know where to look. We just kept stopping and saying wow. Wow, wow, wow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We aren't even that high yet and we already knew the decision to climb was the best decision ever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love riding in the vines...add Lake Geneva and harvest time, and it was perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have run out of words. Remember, when we weren't looking at the vines, we had mountains and a beautiful lake to admire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was harvest time. These vineyards are so steep they had to be hand harvested.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The villages were amazing and the smell from the wineries divine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this gives some idea of how steep these vineyards are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheesh. There are many ways to get the grapes off these slopes...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our personal favourite, by helicopter. We watched this for ages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I stopped to read all the signs. This route is really well set up for walkers and bikers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for lunch, and as if on cue this guy came by on an Italian tractor?? See him grinning at me staring hehe. It wasn't him I was interested in, it was his tractor!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another way to retrieve the grapes from the steep terrain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lots more to come, but sleepy time for me.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
About to drop into the town where Nestle has its headquarters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everything was so beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then we started losing all that elevation and the next thing we knew we were down by the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The towns and villages along here were very prosperous looking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful waterfront park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then we arrived in Montreaux. It was just amazing. Beautiful hotel after beautiful hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carlos Santana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ray Charles. These sculptures were so much fun to walk around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith zoomed in on this. It was way up the hill. A hotel we presume.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was beautiful and right on the bike path for us to admire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are other ways to get around...trains and cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Is this a tree or an island??
Heart 0 Comment 0
We spun through farmland and forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we were on the Rhone. Mountains on both sides and a beautiful wide valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St. Maurice train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Maurice reminds us both of Jasper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The CN has told me that I got carried away with the vineyard pictures and I see he is right! I was reliving the ride as I downloaded them. So here is the Relive:
https://www.relive.cc/view/1207285404

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,641 km (1,019 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0