Kell Am See to Trier: Downhill all the way - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2017

Kell Am See to Trier: Downhill all the way

We started the day with another great German breakfast. Then the proprietor of the Zur Post gifted us a large bottle of mineral water and two bike water bottles. It was so kind. That, and the expectation that we would want to make a picnic lunch, and the provision of bags to put it in was just over the top. If you are biking to Kell Am See we highly recommend it as a place to stay.

The view from our window this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I loved the hooks in the room. They are serious about biking here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And they wouldn't even let me carry my bags. What a treat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great hotel and what an amazing bike path. A win win.
Heart 0 Comment 0

If you know someone who isn't sure about bike touring and you want to convince them it is a good idea, the Ruwer-Hochwald Radweg is the place to go. It was essentially downhill all the way from Kell Am See. We cruised along at 30 km an hour when we weren't stopping for photos or looking around. It is paved all the way. After the last two days it was just what my legs needed. I will let the pictures speak for the ride.

And we are off, steadily downhill on a paved bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Did I mention it was beautiful?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked these gates when you came to an intersection. Very user friendly. You needed to slow down, but didn't need to stop. They are staggered so you slalom through them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were loving it and so were our legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then there were the vineyards and random old stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were bridges, and they were surfaced in a way that allowed us to ride comfortably over them, rather than hanging onto our fillings which is what we have to do at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had time to stop and smell the flowers today. In fact if we hadn't we would have sailed into Trier before noon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were Roman ruins too...we remembered to take a picture of the sign, but not the ruins. Duh.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Of course there were trailside companions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is for Tricia and Ken Graham: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=19826
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were in Trier shortly after noon, felt refreshed rather than nap ready and booked ourselves into the Hotel Deutscher Hof, as recommended by the proprietor at the Zur Post. We have had a good walk around, revisited the cathedral and had great wine and dinner. The cherry on the cake at dinner was meeting two lovely couples from Washington State. Neighbours! They are just starting their trip and I am betting it will be fabulous. What a fantastic day. As Keith said, we are so lucky to be doing this, and so lucky we both want to do it.

We came in on the opposite side of the river this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a great pedestrian area. I love pedestrian areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Porta Nigra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ceiling detail in the cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where the holy robe is kept.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty amazing all round.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is that downhill ride. Note the elevation profile at the end. Also note that I typed I know not what, which was autocorrected to Biden, and I don't have a clue how to fix that. Just trust me that it is Kell Am See to Trier, not to the former Vice President.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1167689239

I almost forgot. What would a day in Germany be without this?

Apfel Strudel!
Heart 0 Comment 0

And a special treat, the CN has contributed his much more concise version of the day: "The navigational hick-up yesterday turned out to be a blessing in disguise. By bailing to Kell am See yesterday it placed us on the Ruwer/Hochwald Radweg and resulted in the easiest 40 km bike run we have ever had. Slightly downhill all the way into Trier on a excellent paved surface. Cruising along in excess of 30 kph at times. After been beat up a bit over the previous 2 days it was a welcome relief. We arrived in Trier in less than 2 hours with several stops for photos."

The CN requested the addition of a couple of photos. He took about a dozen pictures of this bee. Watching him was fascinating. The bee I mean, not Keith. An update. Thanks to Steve Miller in the guestbook we have learned we were watching a hummingbird hawk moth. It really was a remarkable creature. We watched a YouTube video this morning after getting Steve's note in the guestbook. Fascinating. Thanks Steve!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This squirrel just wouldn't stay still! We liked him anyway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 307 km (191 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0