Freudental to Mosbach: Brakes repaired! - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2017

Freudental to Mosbach: Brakes repaired!

We lingered over breakfast this morning in good company with Jürgen and Marion. We have to be in Frankfurt on Sunday and so we couldn't linger longer...next time! It was so great to see them again, and in much better circumstances for me. We said a sad goodbye to Marion at the house, and Jürgen rode with us and gave us a tour of some fascinating sights until we were almost at the Neckar radweg. It was a huge help and a lot of fun.

Cliff, Jürgen and Marion's son is a great photographer. Sunny was far to interested in the treats in my hand to look at him though!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best accommodation this tour 😀
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tour guide and I. It was great to ride through the countryside and have some of the random old stuff explained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is an example. This is a monument to the king's beloved white horse. The accompanying story was so much fun...one of the reasons he loved his horse so much is because the king was fat and the horse would kneel to help him get on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was such a treat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I am going to miss these views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jürgen explained the structure of these houses to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left Jürgen we started down the Neckar. What a great ride it was. I felt fantastic too, a reaction to yesterday's brakes on ride I suppose. We had Mosbach as a goal with the possibility of Heidelberg depending on time and distance. We were late leaving because it was so hard to leave, and we knew it would be tough so we left all our options open. The bike path had some climbs, and we added a few by trolling up into some of the little towns, but it felt like a fairly flat ride after all the hills recently. We enjoyed it so much, and there was the bittersweet feeling of the last day. The year we rode a complete circuit was so special, but we have simply run out of time.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We are going to miss this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sailboats and vineyards. Perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old walled city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crooked little fachwerk house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Those vineyards again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just such a beautiful ride and I didn't want it to end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Of course the ride had to end, and sooner than we wanted. When we came to the sign that said 5 km to Mosbach, or 63 km to Heidelberg we had to concede that the sensible thing was to stop in Mosbach. We would have been riding into Heidelberg in the dark. Mosbach had what we needed, a hotel and a train station so up the hill we went. I was feeling pretty blue until we arrived at our hotel and the old town. Oh my goodness, I am so glad we didn't miss it. We stayed in one of those old fachwerk buildings. There wasn't a level surface or square corner in our room and crossing the floor made me feel like I was a drunken sailor. We loved it! Mosbach is just an awesome spot. What a lucky find.

Our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another side of the hotel. We just loved it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our crooked room. It was so great to stay at this spot. The view out our windows was so cool, and the hotel staff were awesome.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We drank wine, we had a delicious traditional German dinner and we were just so happy to be where we were. A fantastic day. Here is the Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1240543924

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,753 km (1,710 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0