Dole to Nuits St. Georges: Back into wine country - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2017

Dole to Nuits St. Georges: Back into wine country

What a great day we had today. Lots of variety, both in terrain and weather, and smooth surfaces most of the day. We got away from the hotel late, at 10 AM. Sipping those cappuccinos really slows us down. That isn't really fair to the CN, I am the true coffee lover. It was raining lightly when we started riding and we immediately sought out a bakery. We needed a baguette. We couldn't find anything in town that met our high standards for French baguettes, so decided to carry on to the next village.

View back towards Dole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely boat on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just when it looked like we were going to make a timely exit, I noticed tractors. Many tractors. Old tractors. The mother lode of old tractors. These are a new interest of mine. Something I had never particularly paid attention to, but now thanks to Ken and Trisha Graham https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=19826 I seem to see and enjoy everywhere. Today's haul was truly superlative so we had to go take a look.

There were so many!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I want to take this one home! Keith took about a dozen pictures of different ones, so I have to stop now, because there were many other interesting things.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We immediately ran into the lovely family from trailside yesterday and had another visit. It is such a small world. Note old tractors in the background and the banner for Les Doryphores, a French society of old tractor lovers...if I understood correctly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were cows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Including this one and she had absolutely no intention of moving another step. It was so funny to watch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were horses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These were getting their hair done, one by one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there were border collies, waiting to herd those sheep. This guy was absolutely vibrating in anticipation. As a result of all this, and the local cheese for sale, we didn't actually get away from Dole until 11 AM. It was our completely unexpected event of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started down Eurovelo 6 and the riding was excellent, as were the views. Our next stop was in a small village for the elusive baguette. We found it. I stood outside and watched the bikes while Keith made his selection.

The route is on the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You didn't think he only bought a baguette did you?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The CN says she was absolutely charming.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we were just spinning along taking it all in. We stopped for a picnic lunch, enjoying that baguette and cheese from the agricultural fair. The ride was canal side to this point.

Beautiful boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small village along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were a little too focused over lunch, and didn't notice the weather was changing, not that it would really have made much difference. We spent the next part of the ride either riding in the rain, or hiding under trees in the rain. We were on the very best D road ever. It had just been resurfaced, and so the riding was easy. By the time we were approaching Nuits St. Georges the sun was out again...at least where we were. You didn't have to look very far to find rainclouds.

Look what's coming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our amazing D road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It may be sunny where we were but look over there. Sheesh!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then we were there and enjoying a glass of wine under cover from the rain. Yup, it started again, but don't worry, the sun came back out shortly after.
Heart 0 Comment 0
See! Wait five minutes and the weather changes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are cosy and happy in the most beautiful room in the centre of town. We are at Douce Nuits. Do yourself a favour if you are in Nuits St. Georges. Stay here. It is beautiful.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 915 km (568 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0