Bourgoin-Jalieu to Belley: A perfect, perfect day - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2017

Bourgoin-Jalieu to Belley: A perfect, perfect day

Today was just amazing. Everything was as good as it gets. The scenery was stunning, the Via Rhona was paved, flat and well marked, the sun shone and my heart sang. It would be impossible to be happier I think. At one point I thought I might burst from the sheer joy of it. I felt so lucky to be out riding a bike on such a gorgeous day with the CN leading the way and just having so much fun. He teased me about it! I am so lucky to have a partner who loves this as much as I do. He is lucky too hehe.

Our hotel last night was clean, quiet and comfortable. They also provided a great breakfast for us to fuel up on before we left. It was so quiet that instead of being in our breakfast room at 8 AM, our usual time, we were still fast asleep. It surprised us both when we woke up, but we must have needed it.

Our hotel. Those roses at the front were still full of blooms and buds. They must have liked the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started the day on D roads. They had a bike lane for at least the first ten km and then were the usual shoulderless, little travelled route...except today, while not that busy, they seemed busier than we would have expected for a Sunday. We found out why soon enough. The road was up and down a bit, but nothing very taxing, and usually at highway grades which are straightforward. We were immediately in beautiful scenery. The first twenty km went by in a blink and we were in Morestel almost before we knew it.

Well marked, well signed and a good surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road was busier than we expected, but the traffic came in bunches, just like home. One car going a little more slowly than the rest wanted to (probably the speed limit) and the happy result was five or six cars going by and then nothing for a long stretch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sunflowers are clearly past their best!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked this chicken coop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of things to look at on the way. I didn't see how the day could get any better. It did.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In a half hour of thumb twiddling and mindless reading of news articles on my phone I have managed to download just one picture. Not a very inspiring one. So frustrating. I will finish the narrative and try and add the pictures later. Again. Teeth gnashing at this end 😜.

When we arrived in Morestel there was a complete traffic jam. Market day! Everyone was trying to get into town, find a parking space and enjoy the market. No wonder the D roads were busier than we expected. A nightmare for the cars, but easy for us. We just bypassed them all and took in the sights. We had a beautiful view down to the market we would have missed but for a lovely elderly woman who directed us to it. It was so kind of her.

We also met cyclists from Bern on their way to Provence on the Via Rhona. It was fun to talk to them about the route. We didn't realize even then how fantastic it was going to be.

Coming into Morestel. People and cars were everywhere. You have got to love market day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First there was the flea market portion. Same junk as home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then came clothing. But look up. That is where we were headed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then fresh flowers and fruit and veggies, cheese and charcuterie. We wove our way through and on up to the historical sights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a bicycle you see everything.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way to admire the view thanks to the local who pointed the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church was dark and gothic on the inside but lovely on the exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down at the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left beautiful Morestel and were immediately on the Via Rhona. It was fantastic from the start. We stopped for lunch at a bench on the side of the path in the sunshine. The scenery really was like the pictures on the map book. My head was on a swivel.

The path was paved the entire way and very well marked. It was only possible to make a mistake if I was so busy staring at the stunning scenery I missed a sign. Keith and his Galileo put us to rights when it happened a couple of times, but my pride in my GTW (Go This Way) role was hurt. Everything was so smooth today I felt like could keep riding forever, but thankfully the CN kept me from being completely delusional and we stopped in Belley. We are in the Sweet Home Hotel, and we were both a bit hesitant about it because of the name, of all things. It is great, we are very comfortable and about to go get some dinner.

When I can load the pictures they will tell the story better than I can.

We are off!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just gorgeous from the get go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In France a detour is merely a suggestion. We had a lovely new surface to enjoy once we were around the barricades and didn't have to share it with anyone. What a beautiful bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other end. Isn't that a lovely cycling surface?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This boat has seen better days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What? A Canadian Barrier? We have never heard of such a thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aha! A cattle guard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random beauty was everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random old stuff too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My timing here was very poor and I got absolutely covered with dust. Nice the way it sticks to the sunscreen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the tunnel and on to the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,382 km (858 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0