Besancon to Dole: Easy riding. - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2017

Besancon to Dole: Easy riding.

We awoke to blue sky and sunshine this morning. We couldn't believe it, but it is true. We lingered over breakfast just the same, and were finally ready to go at 10 AM. We really enjoyed the Hotel du Nord. A fantastic location right in the heart of Besancon, and with such a friendly staff.

The Hotel du Nord in the heart of the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have great bike storage and on the way there our helpful guide offered to take our picture. Together. What a concept. I can understand French when I have the context and she cracked me up with her remark about Keith being reluctant about being photographed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to the bike storage area. Seriously charming.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Besancon looking up at the citadel, which we had visited last time we were here. Then it was through the tunnel under the Citadel and we were in brand new territory. We came in to Besancon a different way (the bus!) and left a different way. Very intriguing.

We really enjoyed exploring this Citadel four years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then through the tunnel and out the other side. Last time we rode through the tunnel for the experience, and then turned around as we were on our way to Provence. This time we kept going.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The riding was easy. We haven't had a day without climbing in some time and following the Eurovelo 6 was straightforward. We still had our constant companion, a headwind, but it was flat easy, well signed riding with lots of company.

The other side of the Citadel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Easy riding. Love it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And good company. We are quite a bright group!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were the ever present fishers. Why do I use the politically correct term? I haven't seen a fisher woman yet. I like to think they are out there, but I haven't seen one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this boat. Keith figured the geraniums were to distract from the obvious...it is badly in need of a paint job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Val, this one is for you. The boat came with an adorable one eyed cat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We kept rolling along the canal, enjoying the flat ride. You can really make tracks, even with a headwind, when not climbing. I did break my new rule about not drafting, for a brief time. This time Keith hit the brakes for a hummingbird. He really did. Birds are clearly dangerous creatures. Fortunately, just as he hit the brakes he remembered me and he was pedal to the metal very quickly as I was swerving to avoid his pannier. This time was more of a giggle than a near miss, but I realize I would be smarter to watch for photogenic situations than to watch him.

We came to a most interesting canal tunnel and did some exploring there. We loved the fairy lights in the tunnel.

Here I go, up and over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And into fairyland. It was so cool.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then, just because it seems like the weather can't decide what to do, it started to pour. Keith bailed under a tree, and I was under the eave of a derelict building near by. I became completely unnerved by a bogey woman about fifty feet from me. I swear her head was swivelling. Keith went to investigate.

In the unexpected and unusual department, how would you feel if this kept swivelling her head to stare at you through the rain?
Heart 0 Comment 0
I don't know how the birds felt, but she scared me!! Seriously creepy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride continued to be uneventful. No navigational issues, no route finding needed. It was fun to just spin the pedals.

The usual trailside companions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this lovely family, from Germany, trailside. Here, their children are choosing Canada stickers for their bikes. Once a teacher, always a teacher.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the peloton came through. If you really use your imagination, it sorta, kinda looks like the Tour de France. Okay, maybe not. But it does look very serious hehe.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dole is a very pretty city to approach from the bike path. We rode to our hotel, checked in and went exploring.

Picture from the lock at Dole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty approach to the city. We were already smitten.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out exploring. The exterior of the cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down the hobbit hole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guide on our walking tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty, pretty place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of places to eat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't it just lovely?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had the place to ourselves. It was such an interesting walking tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then on our walk, we net Dave and Louise. What a lovely encounter that was. We enjoyed their company so much. They are from Great Britain and travelling around Europe in their camper van. It sounded like so much fun. Another great way to travel. Louise gave us some fantastic tips about places to visit. We really appreciated it.

Stay in touch Dave and Louise. You have our email address. Canada is beautiful, and where we live in Canada is extraordinarily so.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel. Great spot and right next door to a restaurant full of deliciousness. Perfect. The receptionist tipped us off about it and it turned out to be the same one friends who are a day ahead of us recommended. We had to take pictures of our food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yum, yum, yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wine before dinner and a bottle of wine with dinner make blogging interesting, to say the least. Dole has been a great surprise. Four years ago when we were booking a ticket north from Provence to Dole the young ticket agent said "Dole?? What are you going to Dole for?? Go to Beaune." We booked a ticket to Beaune. I know, I know, who plans a trip like that? And Beaune was fantastic. But having explored Dole, we have come to the conclusion that the young ticket seller has never been to Dole. What a great city.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 848 km (527 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0