Tossa de Mar, day 2-1/2 - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2022

Tossa de Mar, day 2-1/2

Two hours later I look out and see that it’s not raining.  The weather app indicates that it will stay dry for the rest of the day so we hurry out for a second walkabout.  It’s about five-thirty so we have an hour and a half until dark.  We head up toward the castle again, hoping we’ll get further this time.  The weather holds, and we have time for a good exploration.  There is a lot to see, especially in Vila Vella, the historical old town inside the historical walls; so before long I’m stopping frequently and Rachael sets her own pace with the plan to meet back at the room later.

Tossa de Mar and it’s castle has an interesting history, described better here than anything I could add.  And besides, this is the second post for the same day, so we’ll just leave you with this photo dump.

It’s dry but foggy over the hills this afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back at the town from the fortress walls.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The gate to Vila Vella, the 12th century town protected by the fortress walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 3
Keith AdamsI'm always saddened to see windows-no-longer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, but how much can you expect from a structure built three centuries before Columbus ‘discovered’ America? I like that the frame has been so well preserved.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonTrue. It's just always sad to me to see a place where light used to be admitted now made opaque. I always assume the room is darker and somehow less cheerful as a result.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some chimneys. Are the spikes to keep the gulls from loitering here?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ava Gardener starred in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, released in 1950 and partially filmed here in Tossa de Mar. The film is credited with placing the Costa Brava on the tourism circuit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I like this view from below the lighthouse. It shows how the town is sheltered against the north side of the rocky cape.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we split up, Rachael walked down to the cove on the opposite side of the cape from the town and returned with these photos and video.  Tossa makes a really nice base for a few days stay, with trails extending up and down the coast.  If it rains again tomorrow we’ll stay over another night and take a hike from this direction.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Patrick O'HaraIf you were heading to Sant Feliu, you could have caught stage 1 of the Volta Catalunya race.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraWhat!? We had lunch in Sant Feliu de Guixols earlier today. The stage just finished fifteen minutes ago. The stage started from here about one, not long after we arrived in town. Amazing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnGreat video! With that and the stunning photos, I can imagine hanging out there during some off season.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt could be a wonderful place for a longer stay - some great hikes, a few exceptional but challenging bike rides, and of course just walking along the beach. I’m sure it gets a much different feel come Easter.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago