South of Figueres - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2022

South of Figueres

We leave for France in the morning and a fairly stiff climb awaits us when we cross over a low pass in the Pyrenees.  Not too serious, but enough so that we decide to take it fairly easy today.  Accordingly I map out what looks like a reasonably flat, elongated oval south of town. Still, it ended up a few miles longer than was strictly necessary and we were both surprised at how much elevation gain all those low rollers added up to. 

Nice ride through some villages that are worth a pause, but maybe the more prudent thing would have been to take the day off and visit the Salvador Dali museum like we said we’d do when we came to this town.  Hopefully we haven’t done ourselves in.

Back in the rape fields.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Windy today, which didn’t help matters.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Fluvia. There were a few spots like this today where it looked like we could have been wading or seeking a detour if there had been more rain recently.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Fluvia, just north of Vilaür.
Heart 2 Comment 0
South of Figueres, at the sunniest time of the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of San Estevan, in Vilaür.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of San Estevan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of San Estevan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Camallera.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of Sant Bartomeu, Camallera.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the way back, climbing over a low but surprisingly steep ridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Church of Sant Maurici, Sant Mori.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Like this?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Recrossing the Fluvia, northbound this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monastery of Sant Miquel de Fluvia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Monastery of Sant Miquel de Fluvia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Apples and lemons, the Monastery of Sant Miquel de Fluvia.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetSo odd (to me) to see blossoms and fruits at the same time!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI thought so too. It’s why I took that shot. We’ve seen a few trees with lemons on here, which amazes me. I wonder if they could be hanging on from last season.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonOne of the B&Bs we stayed at in Andalucìa had a beautiful garden with orange trees. Al asked if he could pick a couple but was told they wouldn’t be ripe for another month or two, depending on the variety. So it seems citrus fruits ripen around the winter equinox.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
It was hazy all day, enough so that visibility was poor. Here we’re looking toward Roses and the pass we climbed into Cadaqués and can barely see it even though it’s only about eight miles away.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I wish someone would offer me a free ride like that.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI seem to remember an iconic photo of you giving Shawn a ride like that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownYep. One of my favorite photos. Some of my strongest memories of him at a young age are of biking around town together.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Torre de en Reig, a modernist 20th century building in Vilabertran.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Me Cambiaste La Vida, by Rio Roma

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 47 miles, 2,200’; for the tour: 259 miles, 13,900’

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 258 miles (415 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0