Occitanie preview - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2022

Occitanie preview

Those of you still working off of old mental maps of France or outdated guidebooks may not have heard of Occitanie, now one of the largest administrative regions of France.  It was created in 2016, and comprises the former regions of Langueduc-Roussillon and Midi-Pyrénées.  Occitanie is the French name of the new region, which in English is known as Occitania.

Our track record on previews is pretty poor so far, as our planned oute through Catalonia became inoperative almost immediately.  We’ll try to do better this time but we’re open-minded and are ready to adapt to conditions on the ground as we find them so take the map below with a grain of salt.

There has been one noteworthy change to our original plan here though.  We’ve been prepared to apply for a Vaccine Pass when we enter France - a digital vaccination card you can register for at participating pharmacies and which you need if you want to dine indoors.  We’ve identified two such pharmacies in our town of entry, Céret, and registering was to be task number one when we arrive.

Except now it isn’t.  Just over a week ago France eliminated this requirement as well as masking requirements.  Unless we plan on visiting any nursing homes while we’re in th3 country (which we don’t), at the moment at least it sounds like there are no special restrictions in effect.

March 28 - April 13: Figueres to Uzes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lorenzo JaryYep! We were in France when the mask mandate finished, and nobody has seemed keen to continue wearing them. I didn't actually know about the vaccine pass - nobody mentioned it, and I think only once or twice in Spain were we asked to show proof of vaccination.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesRachel, sorry to bug you with a nuts and bolts topic, but you are now 14 days into your Orange SIM, I think. Their topup website will not tell me what options are available until I type in a valid one of their phone or sim numbers. Can you say now what happens when you try to extend your 14 day SIM? What prices and features, if any, are on offer?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonOnce I registered my new phone number with France and the 14 days on the original Orange Holiday Europe plan were used, I was able to go online and recharge the phone. I chose the Orange Holiday Europe plan which was valid for one month and gave me 20 GB of 4g, LTE data, 1 hour of calls from Europe to worldwide ( no charge for received calls), 1000 texts from Europe to worldwide for a cost of 43.40 euros. They also have one that is valid for 14 days with 5 GB data, 1 hour of calls and 500 texts. It’s been working great. I hear you are flying to Frankfurt. I’m not sure how easy it would be to purchase a SIM card there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago