In Tournus: to Cluny again - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2022

In Tournus: to Cluny again

Well I tried.  After several attempts to get Rachael to join me on my loop ride back to Cluny, she didn’t bite.  She wasn’t tempted by the climb over the ridges to get there, or back over them to get back.  The idea of waiting while I stopped for photos at one spot after another didn’t tempt her either.  After ten straight days on the saddle she’s ready for a change of pace and has a nice little walk mapped out, which we’ll see later.  Go figure.

She should have come - it was a great ride, passing through one village with a 12th century Romanesque church after another.  And I did made it down into Cluny for a look at the famous abbey, but still didn’t give the town its due because I used up all my time in the villages.  We’ll just have to come back for another bite some year.

Entering Ozenay, the first of a series of interesting villages on today’s route.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ozenay Castle, 15th-17th century. A protected historical property, but not one you can visit. Nice for a bike-by shooting though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the grounds of Ozenay Castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Gervais Church, Ozenay.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A twelfth century Romanesque church with a 21st century folding bicycle.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnThey pair nicely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Most of today’s ride was excellent, nicely mixing low-traffic roads with the occasional zero traffic road.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnA road that make me smile.. and makes me want to ride on it shouting, "Weeeeeeeeee!"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lavendry and fountain, Cruzille.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Somewhere in Burgundy.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Saint-Cyr Church, in Bissy. A twelfth century Romanesque church with a white panel truck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The interior of Saint-Cyr Church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Details of Saint-Cyr Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wine press, In Scissy I think.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Somewhere else in Burgundy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stone wall with discontinuity.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Keith AdamsA very interesting upheaval. I wonder what prompted the change in stacking?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsIt’s curious alright. Maybe it’s a former property line and there were different builders involved?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Andrea BrownI feel like somebody's Uncle Jerry stopped at the wine press before attending the wall-building party.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Pigeonnier pop quiz. Which (if any) of these structures are pigeon coops? Clockwise, from upper left: in Cluny, Charmes, Donzy-Le-Pertuis, Lys.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnI vote for top left.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Donzy-en-Pertuis.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Saint-Julien Church, Donzy-en-Pertuis.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A twelfth century Romanesque church with a blue Twingo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down from the high point of the day. Cluny is hidden somewhere in the valley down there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Cluny from above.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Cluny.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Cluny. The vast scale of the abbey and associated structures is startling.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A window in Burgundy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
In Lys. Probably my favorite church of the day, but for some reason it’s not identified on the map so I don’t know it’s name.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Details of the church in Lys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chateau de Nobles, just a pretty face by the side of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Brancion Chateau, the largest fortress in southern Burgundy and a well-established tourist destination. Too bad it’s late in the day and at the top of a hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down on Rozer, another village that looks worth a look with more time in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love knowing what a field of barley looks like, and now that I know I’m seeing it everywhere. Unmistakeable at this time of year for its distinctive blue-green hue.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 43 miles, 3,400’; for the tour: 1,827 miles, 95,400’

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 1,855 miles (2,985 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jen RahnCluny: another on the list of places to which you'd like to return.

Which leads me to ask .. do you keep a list of such places?

And, if yes, how often to you review to prioritize the "must re-visit" places?

And .. has there been a place yet that was so captivating that you decided to re-do your itinerary so you could spend more time there?

A curious mind wonders!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnNope, no formal list at least. That was just a figure of speech and a recognition that we didn’t do Justice to visiting the place. There’s a mental note though of course, and if we bike through here again some day we’d likely pencil it in. Which makes it about like a thousand places we’ve fallen in love with over the years.

Offhand I can’t remember a place that we decided on impulse to stay longer at, except for a few weeks ago when we added a fifth night to Annecy. We’re likely to see more of that though, as multi-day stays get more attractive all the time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezThese are some wonderful photos - it makes me think perhaps France is a better destination than Spain (still on our radar for 2023).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly. France is a wonderful cycling destination, and much different than Spain; and of course both countries have great diversity within themselves too. What time of year are you thinking of going?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonOh, I wish there were an official list. It would be fun to use it as a starting point to play a tour!

In the meantime, it will be fun to see which upcoming places are worthy of a change in plans ...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonWe are limited to summer, as Jacinto is still working.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago