In Sommières (a photo gallery) - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2022

In Sommières (a photo gallery)

This is our third visit to Sommières, an intriguing if scruffy historical Roman town.  On both previous times we arrived halfway through a long day and just allowed ourselves a quick tour of the obvious highlights along the riverfront of the Vidourle and down the central commercial street between two of the original gates to the city.  Both times we came away with feelings for what an attractive place it is and wondering if we shouldn’t stay over some day.

So we did, and came away impressed after slow-walking through town on our way to dinner. It’s an atmospheric place, and rather moody on this overcast day with its many tunnels, porticos and dark alleys.  At our excellent small restaurant the walls were lined with photos and articles about the author Lawrence Durrell (Larry, the insufferable oldest brother on the series The Durrells on Corfu), who lived the last 35 years of his life in Sommières and apparently favored this restaurant.  It’s easy to see why!

The Vidourle River and the remaining visible arches of the Roman bridge, built in the 1st century under the east ructions of the Emporda Tiberius. The original bridge, built when the river was much wider, had 20 arches; but half it the bridge is now buried beneath the city’s streets.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
I was positioned to take a photo of the church when these kids hollered up to take their photo instead. So I did, and they cheered and hollered up their thanks afterwards.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A great cat! After walking up to Rachael for servicing he prowled down my way for further attention.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Overlooking Sommières from the walls surrounding the ruined thousand year old chateau.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Checking out dinner prospects for the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An excellent salad begins our meal at La Babourle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0