In Semur-en-Auxois: an out and back - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2022

In Semur-en-Auxois: an out and back

First, a follow-up to yesterday’s ride.  I found this article that discusses the two mile tunnel on the Burgundy Canal that starts at Pouilly-en-Auxois.  It’s full of interesting facts and photos, well worth a read.  In particular it’s remarkable to learn that in the early years barges were pulled through manually by men pulling on cables because the tunnel was too narrow for horses.

Another layover day, another day ride.  Conditions are excellent for it - the rain has moved on and the temperature has dropped by about ten degrees.  János is staying back to study the village, but the rest of us convene at ten in front of the cathedral.

Today’s is an out and back to the north to no place in particular - I was just looking for a quiet route of the right length with just the right concentration of hills and features of interest.  Undramatic but pretty perfect - very little traffic and a nice mix of canal paths and farm roads.  The video tells it all really, but we’ll include a few photos anyway just to round things out.

Video sound track: Que Reste t’il, by Cyrille Aimee

Might as well look around while we wait.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Semur-en-Auxois, one of the more attractive small towns we’ve stayed in on this tour.
Heart 3 Comment 0
OK, now we can get started. Slowly at first though, until we get off these cobblestones.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesCobblestones are worse on 20" wheels. It feels like all your teeth are being shaken out.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Semur makes a fairly small footprint on the land. It’s not long before we’re out of it riding through agrarian countryside.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A picture perfect day.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Yes, very nice; but where’s the apple?
Heart 5 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou forgot it again?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou forgot it again?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael’s been delighted to have some different riding companions for these past few days.
Heart 7 Comment 0
On the Burgundy Canal again. We must have passed a hundred lock keeper’s houses in the last few days.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Here’s another.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And another. Different shingles, different doors, different vegetation, different states of restoration or disrepair. There’s enough variety that they don’t lose their interest. It’s like an Easter egg hunt.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The locks are very concentrated on this part of the canal, sometimes seeming only a few hundred yards apart.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s very little traffic on the canal today - I think we only saw two boats navigating it. Perhaps because there are so many locks and it’s such a slow journey?
Heart 3 Comment 0
I was surprised to see that the canal is serviced by mobile lock keepers who ride the canal in advance of boats, opening and closing locks for them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We left the canal for this side path, quite rough at first. I stopped to check the map to be sure we were going the right way, but then a text arrived from Rachael (ahead, as usual) letting me know that the surface would improve quickly. I looked around thinking she must be watching from somewhere nearby, but it was just coincidental timing - she’s a mile ahead of us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down into Pouillinay.
Heart 6 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyWow, the different shades of green.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Off the canal again, approaching Venarey-les-Laumes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Catastrophe, Venarey-les-Laumes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fantastic conditions today, with the broken sky and interesting lighting and cloud patterns.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was a beautiful stretch of the road, with the long unmown grass on the margins blowing in the wind.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Susan wants to know why I didn’t map us to bike up to that appealing hamlet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coming to Courcelles-lès-Montbard at the end point of our ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Courcelles-lès-Montbard.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Courcelles-lès-Montbard. It looks like some sort of restorative work is in progress but there’s a lot to be done yet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lunch stop, Courcelles-lès-Montbard. Say cheese?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Faster than a speeding bullet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
No, seriously. Where’s the apple? Don’t you guys get it?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierScott, you better up your apple game if you want the animal kingdom on your side.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan Carpenter, on the Canal de Bourgogne.
Heart 6 Comment 0
János joined us late in the ride because he wanted to try his luck fishing this morning first. He’s trying to convince Suzanne of the size of the one that got away, but she knows him too well and isn’t biting.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe ones that get away are always the biggest.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Home stretch. János gives it a game try, but they’ll never reel her in now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 38 miles, 1,600’; for the tour: 2,051 miles, 103,800’

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 2,079 miles (3,346 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lucy MartinLooks like you all had a beautiful day. Great photos.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierThese days of the 5 of you touring together are making me smile! It's so cool to see!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierIt brought smiles to our faces too. Exceeded expectations!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago