In Annecy, day 2: a photo gallery (plus a bonus) - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2022

In Annecy, day 2: a photo gallery (plus a bonus)

I’m sure I lured you in today with that tease about the bonus; but you’ll just have to wait and wade through some photos from our long-awaited rest day first.  It won’t take long though, and I’ll spare you some time by not larding the post up with blather.  Just the pics, then the bonus.  Easy on you, easy on us.

Hooray! Rained out! Rest day!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We just loafed around the room all morning and then went out for lunch in the early afternoon for our main meal for the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
By the time we got out from lunch the rain had all but stopped. We spent the next hour or so walking up to the castle for a view over the town and then back down to the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We arrived at the castle just as they were closing for a couple of hours. We peeked in the gate and moved on, finding a nice walking path down to the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Annecy castle and horse chestnuts. The blossoms are starting to drop here, and are likely already gone for the year down at lower-elevation Grenoble.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The modern (20th century) Basilique de la Visitation.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In old Annecy. I love the windows and shutters and the interesting rippled texture of the plastered walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In old Annecy, staring down one of the channels of the Thiou. Annecy is nicknamed the Venice of the Alps, but I don’t think you could fit a gondola in there. Look at that great chimney at the back though!
Heart 2 Comment 0
In old Annecy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Down at the waterfront, we walked along the lake and through Jardin de l’Europe, the large waterfront park, admiring the views, the impressive trees, and the charm of tiny ducklings darting around in the canals. It’s a beautiful, relaxing space that you could happily wander through over and over again.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Lake Annecy: a male red-crested pochard, a new species to me.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Among the many other attractions of Annecy, it’s a spectacular city for flowers. Impressive displays like this are everywhere you look, it seems. It certainly brightens up a gray day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Annecy.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Annecy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scattered across the Jardin de l’Europe is a collection of five large-scale wooden sculptures with a naturalistic theme. This is a giant shell, obviously.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Contemplation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Jardin de l’Europe. A fantastic birdhouse!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonReally. There must be 100 units here. No one’s going to top this!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jardin de l’Europe is also an arboretum, filled with awesome, soaring trees. This is an Austrian pine (Pinus Nigra).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Giant Sequoia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
European oak (Quercus robur).
Heart 2 Comment 0
A European beech (Fagus sylvatica) flanked by a sequoia, an Austrian pine and a horse chestnut.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally, the moment we’ve all been waiting for - dessert!  Rachael loved yesterday’s ride so much that she created not one but two videos for it!

Video sound track: Que Reste t’il, by Cyrille Aimee

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0