Chambéry OAB #1 - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2022

Chambéry OAB #1

We’re being frustrated by the weather here, which continues to be wonderful.  Frustrating because after seven straight cycling days we’re really about due for a day off; and frustrating too because between the time demands of riding while the sun shines, route planning, restaurant research, eating, napping, and various other undeferrable items that have cropped up in the last few days, it doesn’t leave much time for the blog.  It’s tough.  Life happens.

Awesome ride though!

After an easy eight miles on the Veloroute we come to Lake Bourget. I recognize this view as soon as we arrive - we stayed here at Le-Bourget-du-Lac back in 2015.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking up from the lake we see fearsome Le Chat rimming the west wall. An imposing formation, with a wicked climb to a pass at the top that’s one of the top rated climbs in the region. We’re going over to the other side but we’re not scared, because we’re not carrying our luggage today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Although it does start with this super-steep stretch that with better route planning we could have avoided.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Also, we’re not scared by the fearsome climb because we know we don’t have to do it! There’s this awesome mile-long tunnel burrowed through the mountain, just for cyclists. What a great country! The tunnel is long enough that it gets seriously chilly in the middle, almost enough to force me to stop and layer up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A mile later we pop out into the beautiful hinterland hiding behind the mountain. From here we’ll bike north for about ten miles before doubling back.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s an out and back (you’re welcome, Rocky; I know these are your favorite rides), so it’s not long before partner disappears in the distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I keep a pretty good pace myself, except when I find a compelling reason to stop. There are many such reasons today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at Le Chat (the cat, as you probably knew). Those are its teeth lining the top.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s spring, and we’re seeing a variety of new flowers in bloom. Here’s one.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonProbably. That or rosemary.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMatches nicely with photos of common spotted orchid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrea_tridentata
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This is a really gorgeous spot. It’s a bit hard to see from this angle, but I’m in the middle of a graceful, lazy serpentine that drops down to that church at Jongieux before climbing out the other side.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Climbing up the other side. It’s a gradual ascent before coming to the point where the road starts a long drop off the other side - our turnaround point for today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fantastic cycling country, and a fantastic day for it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down at the village of Lucey, I think. I didn’t realize it yet, but we’re looking into the Rhone Valley here. You can just see a bit of the river in the upper end. If we dropped down just a few miles we’d intersect our planned route for about five or six days from now when we double back from Annecy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our turn back spot. No need to drop 2,000’ to the Rhone just to turn around and climb back out again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our lunch spot on the way back, looking down at the Rhone. The Via Rhona runs through this somewhere down there. We’re sitting on the wall beside the elite restaurant Les Morainieres, unfortunately closed today so we’re left with the snacks we brought along. Otherwise we’d stop in for the 120 euro lunch, economizing by passing up the 148 euro option. It’s OK - we’re getting the best of it for free by enjoying this view.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This view gives a better perspective on that serpentine, which you can see off to the right. The lighting conditions are really wonderful today - everything is so luminous.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Yup. You’re right - we just saw this stretch of road from the other direction. Worth taking another look, since there’s a biker in it this time.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ditto. There’s that ferocious cat again!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back through the tunnel again, we open up to views over Lake Bourget. Here we’re looking across the lake at Aix-les-Bains, a resort spa town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And here we’re looking out the south end of the lake back to the high Alps. This was the direction in from Grenoble.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming in for a landing, near Le-Bourget-du-Lac.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video sound track: C’est What, by Bud Shank

Heart 0 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Scott and Rachel
Time constraints. I was glad to hear your days are full too. You didn’t mention you also have time to not only read but comment on others’ blogs. Frankly, you guys seem to be able to keep on top of your travelling life, and still keep up with your blog. We are always running a few days behind.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo ann and steve maher-wearyI could give a thoughtful reply here, but there’s no time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Ride stats today: 43 miles, 2,500’; for the tour: 1,329 miles, 65,900’

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 1,329 miles (2,139 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraStellar part of France. Didn't know about the tunnel through Le Chat. Good to know! Richie Porte had a terrible crash descending Le Chat in the 2017 TDF. It does have a fearsome reputation, with many saying it should have never been included in the race. Great shots. I'm sure you're both ready for an 'Anderson rest day.'
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraI remember that horrible crash. Terrifying. I hadn’t connected it up with where it occurred though. Thanks for enlightening me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago