Barcelona: In the Barrio Gótico - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2022

Barcelona: In the Barrio Gótico

In spite of our smooth arrival our first night in Barcelona found us both sleeping poorly.  I awoke about midnight and was up for an hour; did the same at around three; and then slept through until 6:30 when I was awake by the sound of Rachael preparing her first cup of coffee.  She said she had slept poorly too, and having me up with the light on in the bathroom didn’t help.  I was surprised, thinking that the door was solid but it’s apparently painted glass.

Our hotel offers a fine breakfast, a massive spread for only 20 euros per.  Too much for too much, and neither of us was remotely interested.  Rachael feasted instead on a packet of instant oatmeal she brought with her from home while I went next door for a pair of whole grain croissants and cafe con leche.

An then, errands.  Rachael went out to pick up a SIM card for my phone (hers is set already) while I assembled the bikes.  Assembly went fine, but it did me in.  Feeling drugged and nauseated, at about eleven I crashed for a nap.

A familiar process that goes more smoothly with practice. We wont know for sure until we take them out for a spin, but I think we brought them across without breaking anything this time.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I woke about an hour later feeling clear-headed, refreshed, and ready to see the sights.  By now though Rachael was spent and took over the bed while I went out for an exploration.  Our hotel is in an excellent location, a few blocks from the cathedral at the north end of the Gothic Quarter, the oldest neighborhood in the city.  We’ve been in Barcelona twice before this but this is the first time I’ve ever really explored this area, arguably the best known and most interesting in the city.

I wandered around without a plan for about two or three hours and quickly became entranced.  It’s probably the first time I’ve been thoroughly taken with Barcelona.  Every street and alley held something of interest.  Eventually though I worked my way back to the vicinity of the hotel, briefly feeling crestfallen when I discovered that I’d forgotten to turn on the GPS as a tracker to help me find my way back.  I was just considering calling up Rachael for help when I rounded the corner and stumbled on it.

While I was out, Rachael woke from her nap and went out on a second errand - to the post office, to see if she could mail a parcel of her meds and incidentals ahead to a hotel in Wales.  She was successful and satisfied with the cost - only 25 euros.  In retrospect I should have done the same thing myself.

Soon after I was back in the room Rachael called - she wanted to let me know that she’d stopped for lunch at an appealing cafe.  I hadn’t eaten either since those two croissants, so once I found she was only an eight minute walk away I placed an order (they were due to close in half an hour) and raced back into the Gothic Quarter to join her.

A rewarding first day, and one due to get even better.

The Gothic flea market, beneath the walls of the Cathedral. I’m in luck today - it’s only open on Thursdays and Fridays.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Mercat Gòtic, the flea market in the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Barcelona Cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A girl’s gotta make a living!
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of a set of stainless steel sculptures by Jodi Diez Fernandez.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Gothic Quarter. For a while I kept track of attractive tapas bars where we might come back for a meal, but soon gave up because there are so many of them.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some more than usually colorful laundry.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob KoreisA girl can't have enough scarves. I wonder how many pairs of shoes are in the closet?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Honoring the Roman Barinco, the colony surrounded by Roman walls that existed here from the first century BC until the Middle Ages.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Placa de Saint Jaume, demonstrating in front of the town hall. An immense crowd rallied here after noisily marching through the quarter. I assumed it was a political demonstration of some sort, but was surprised to learn that they’re demanding the resignation of the head of the department of education because he won’t negotiate with the teacher’s unions.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Recess in the Square in front of the rebuilt Saint Philip Neri Church, a sight that resonates with current events. The church was largely destroyed by bombardment from Franco’s fascist Air Force, killing children who were using it as an air raid shelter. The foundation on the opposite side of the square is still pock marked from the bombardment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another colorful balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Polly LowAha! Now that shop, if I'm remembering things correctly, is a sort of clearing house for all the various types of biscuits and cakes produced by monasteries and nunneries in the region. Recommended, if you need a Morally Uplifting Sugary Snack...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Polly LowThanks for the tip! We’ll probably be walking past it again this afternoon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Oranges and wall art, in the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 14th century Basilica of Saints Justus and Pastor, regarded as the city’s oldest church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And he last balcony. I especially like the fishing net.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Calle del Bisbe and El Pont Del Bisbe, the Bishop’s Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gargoyles hover above Calle Del Bisbe.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnThat second from the left one might could give me nightmares!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch date at The Benedict.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe bike looks so shiny for something that has already traveled so far. What will be happening to the suitcases?

Also, what plan and cost do you have on the SIMs?

Sorry for all the questions!

Oh, one more: Are you ordering the croissants etc. in Spanish, or is English workable (or is it just point and a few words of either language so no matter).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe’ll be taking the suitcases down to a UPS shop this afternoon and shipping them off to Nice. We found a hotel that will keep them for nine months free of charge, amazingly enough.

Rachael will have to report out the SIM solution.

Here in Barcelona English is sufficient everywhere We’ve gone so far, but we’ll have to see when we get to smaller towns. This is a tourist region though so we should be fine. A good thing, since I’m a pathetic uniglot.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI have a newer phone that supports e-sim which allows me to still use my SIM card from T-Mobile and then purchase and download the e-sim that provides me with a French phone number. I can then use it as my primary phone number but still have access to my U.S. number. It’s great! I purchased Orange Holiday Europe plan which can be topped off online.
1. 8 GB of data valid in Europe
2. 30 minutes + 200 text messages (international)
3. Unlimited calls + text messages in Europe
4. Valid for 14 days

I purchased a similar plan from Orange for Scott’s phone in Barcelona with a physical SIM card which can also be topped off. If you order several weeks before you leave you can get the same plan I ordered above.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonThat's valuable info Rachael. I think I see this plan listed a lot on internet - like at Amazon and even Walmart. The prices range from $Can 40-60. For 14 days. That puts your 9 month Sim cost at 9x2x$40=$720, if you can remember to renew every 14 days. Is there something I am missing about this, or do I need to get the extra piggy bank out from under the bed?

I am hoping that our German friends will be able, maybe by using their local address, to get us something that will resemble what a local would be paying. In past we have been using an "international SIM", in our case from the company onesim.com. That cost maybe $50 for 8 gb for 30 days. One time we bought a SIM from LIDL, which offered good prices, but when they found out we really didn't live at the German address we gave, they silently cancelled it! It took a phone call to them in German from a German friend to finally find out what their beef was.

Maybe this is a good topic for a Forum post!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWhen I purchased the e-sim they sent me lots of information about setting it up which included information about having to register my SIM cad with France if using it longer than a month so I’ve done that. Also, I can recharge for a month at a time. I created a forum a few months ago called Best Phone Plans for Use Overseas that I will update with my findings once I’ve recharged it the first time.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago