About those suitcases - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2022

About those suitcases

I’m sure you’ve been on the edge of your seats for the last few days, anxious to hear what became of those suitcases we shipped to Nice several days ago.  Well, the long wait is over because there’s news - big news.

The nice thing about shipping through UPS is that you can track your package.  We’ve been following, and were pleased to see the confirmation that the suitcases were delivered Tuesday afternoon, right on schedule.  They were delivered in the hotel lobby to a Mme Guillautin: 

Hurray! They’ve been delivered! Or have they?
Heart 1 Comment 0

I was surprised that our hotel hadn’t informed us that they’d been received though, as they promised they would do; so I forwarded this to them and asked for their confirmation that they’d been received; but heard back the next morning in the negative: 

Dear M. Anderson,

We don’t receive any luggage… Mme Guillautin??? Nobody have this name…

I think is a spam.

When will have it, we tell you.

So this is not good news.  We went back to the calendar on our phone to see where we instructed UPS to send the package, and discovered mystery number one in this story: the calendar entry is incorrect, mixing the name of the hotel we had booked, Hotel de la Fontaine, with the address of some different hotel entirely: the Hyatt Regency three blocks away, a five star waterfront hotel that as far as we know we never considered staying at because it’s out of our price range and comfort zone.

A complete mystery. At the top is the hotel we are booked at, and below it is the information for the second hotel. Note that both hotels are listed with the same confirmation number.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have no explanation for this, but it looks like we sent it to the address of the Hyatt Regency, but under the name of the Hotel de La Fontaine.  So we called the Hyatt Regency, hoping it had been sent there and had not been returned to sender yet.

The concierge at the Hyatt Regency said that no such packages have been received, and Mme Guillautin does not work at their hotel either.  So we called it a night, and resolved to call our UPS store in Barcelona in the morning.

The UPS store confirmed that they had sent it to the Hyatt Regency addresss, under the name of the Hotel de la Fontaine.  And they asserted that it had been delivered to the mysterious Mme Guillautin, since they were viewing the same tracking information that we were.

So we called back both hotels, spoke with their concierges again, and confirmed that neither hotel believes it received the suitcases.  In short, they’re lost.

So we called the Barcelona UPS storefront one last time, reported our findings, and asked for their thoughts on how we should proceed.  After much discussion they agreed that something has gone wrong, and have opened a lost delivery claim with UPS.

So, two good things in this story - we really don’t need them to be located until late November, so there’s no rush.  And, they’re just suitcases - plus a duffel bag, a rucksack, some denim jeans, and some bicycle packing materials.  If they’re never located it won’t be the end of the world.

And, more good news.  This story isn’t over yet, so you can look forward to the next installment.  We’ll keep you posted.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Jacquie GaudetI'm on tenterhooks, rather hoping the situation is resolved soon! We will be sending our bike cases, likely via UPS, from Florence to a hotel near the Venice airport in May. I realize your suitcases have travelled unaccompanied many times and reached their destinations intact.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOh, this is like a Poirot mystery. Mme Guillautin sounds like a shady character in the plot. I hope she is not boarding a cruise ship bound for Africa right now, using your suitcases!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou’re right, we just wanted to spice things up a bit. Scott has updated the post with the screwed up calendar entry that led to the whole fiasco
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetIt really is weird, Scott has updated the post with the screwed up calendar entry that led to the whole fiasco.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettDon said - so is this a case of ML (Murphy's Law) or SH (S....Happens)?! You have a surprisingly positive attitude about this. I'd be stressed out for sure but then finding a replacement box for our tandem would be nigh on impossible in Europe. Good luck
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanWell, you must have known that eventually your little nefarious business of shipping contraband in "empty" suitcases would catch up with you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonDarn, caught red handed!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanYes. I imagine those packing materials must have been divided up into small plastic baggies and sold off by now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago