A loop through the Baix Emporda - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2022

A loop through the Baix Emporda

It’s a shock to look out our window this morning and see sunlight reflecting off the frames of our bicycles.  Visions of seeing rain for our entire ride through Catalonia are outdated assuddenly we’re faced with the prospect of three straight days of windy but otherwise fine riding conditions.  We adapt easily and have a plan for that, beginning with today’s loop north through the Baix (lower) Emporda.  This is an especially fine region of Catalonia for cycling - largely flat and agricultural but very colorful and full of interesting sights.  We’ve biked here before, and revisiting it was at the top of my list for this part of the tour.

After a few miles along the coast and through the outskirts of town our loop begins with an ascent - a lazy climb of about three miles through a stone pine and cork oak forest, topping out at a saddle at around 700’.   Today it’s made easier by a strong east wind that we appreciate now but won’t care for so much when we return to the coast later this afternoon. 

Pines, cork oaks and a climb face us at the start of our ride today.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Seven miles into the ride we crest the saddle, drop off the other side of the ridge, and settle into the generally flat terrain that will surround us for the rest of the day.  One of the first things that surprises and delights us are the bright yellow rapeseed fields.  I don’t remember seeing these here before, but maybe we were just here too late in the spring - or maybe it’s being cultivated much more widely now for use as a biofuel.  In any case, it makes a brilliant background to today’s ride.

Rape, widely cultivated here, is in full bloom now. We’ll see a lot of it before our day is done.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Baix Emporda.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another delight of the ride here is the rural landscape, the fields dotted with old stone farmhouses, chapels, huts in the fields, vegetable gardens, and trees or sheds with sheafs of stripped reed stalks drying and waiting for use as fencing or trellis materials.

In the Baix Emporda.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A small roadside structure: the Hermitage of Saint Joan de Salleles, constructed in the 10th century.
Heart 5 Comment 0

And another feature of the Emporda is the streams and small rivers that highlight the terrain, often margined by stands of giant reeds.  Sometimes they’re just a pretty accent but sometimes they can be a problem.

It’s not all sunshine and flowers today.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Keith AdamsIt's a free on-the-road bike wash!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsIndeed. You can really travel quite cheaply in Spain, especially if you watch for bargains like this.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetThat face! I suspect my expression might be similar if it were me, though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetThat was a lucky catch, alright. I took a few shots of her, but this was the most fun.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Perhaps best of all though are the many villages that dot the landscape, some little more than a few blocks square.  We must have passed through a dozen villages on today’s loop and found several of them to be of great interest with their crumbling stone walls, towers, archways and  churches.   

Stopping for lunch in Sant Sadurni de l’Heura. We sat in front of the church, out of the wind and basking in the sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A closer look at that wooden door.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bell tower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Sant Sadurni de l’Heura.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Sant Sadurni de l’Heura.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the Baix Emporda. The sun’s out, but it’s chilly when the wind’s in your face.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Baix Emporda.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Corçà. This space was the ancient grain threshing space, but about a century ago it was converted into a public square and lined with plane trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Corçà.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Baix Emporda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Baix Emporda. It’s so colorful at this time of year when the rape is in bloom, but we’ve also seen it later in the spring when fields are red with poppies. So what’s with that giant cigar-shaped column?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonA smoke house for curing ham and the like?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In the Baix Emporda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pit stop. In the background is the Montgri massif, a large limestone formation that is the natural boundary between the lower (Baix) and upper Alt) Emporda.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jean-Marc StrydomThis is such an evocative picture, suggesting the rider has exited stage left for a nature break.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jean-Marc StrydomAs a matter of fact!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The 9th century Romanesque Church of Sant Pere, in Ullastret.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Peratallada, the most interesting of the towns we passed through today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Peratallada. I knew this town felt familiar, but when we came to this rutted street I was sure we’d been here before. I was right - we passed through here in 2014 on our ride from Girona to Bilbao.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Peratallada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Peratallada. This is a frame taken from the video Rachael took biking through the town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pals I think? There are so many enticing towns and villages here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We take a taste of EV8 (Eurovelo 8, the 6,000 km Mediterranean bike route from Cyprus to Cadiz) but don’t care much for this part of it and spit it out after a mile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Palamós from the east on a via verde, a smooth, very rideable surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Video sound track: Esta Soledad, by Kany Garcia

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 2,100’; for the tour: 76 miles, 5,000’

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 77 miles (124 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonIt all looks fantastic! Love the windows and doors and villages... And the sun is out, too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonIt is a wonderful area. Beautiful in the spring and I’m sure it would be in the late fall too. We were here in early December four years ago and it was still fine biking even then. You should head over this fall - it’s only a 13 hour drive. You could even stop for a few days around Montpellier and see the flamingos and white horses in the Camargue.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonSounds so tempting - are we brave enough?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonIf not now, when?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago