In Trento: Here’s that rainy day - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2021

In Trento: Here’s that rainy day

We knew it was coming and have been expecting it for several days.  It keeps pushing out, but finally it’s here.  It’s almost a relief, really.  We’ve got errands to attend to, laundry to be washed, the journal to catch up on, and we’re both physically overdue for a true day off.  Looking back, we haven’t had a day where we didn’t bike or take a significant hike since almost a month ago back in Starnberg when we took the day off to visit with Suzanne and Janos.  And before that, the previous day off was the another month earlier after we arrived in Antwerp when we were frantically puzzling over how to get our suitcases shipped forward to our final destination.  

At our ages, two days off in two months is well below quota.  It’s time.

Oh, wait.  The weather keeps exceeding expectations, and we get a few hours this morning nice enough to venture out.  Rachael makes a trip to the laundry and then heads down to the river for a brisk, scenic walk:

At the laundromat, Rachael returns with a clean load and maybe my favorite photo of the week.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And I have my own errands to run - to the restaurant we’re eying for tonight, to place a reservation; and to the train station, to pick up tickets for tomorrow.  And then, finally, the rains really do come so I scurry back to the room.

The Church of San Francesco Saverio. This is the same spot at the end of our street I took two nights back, but the light is more interesting today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Trento.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sarancini Palace: mid-15th century, one of the best examples of Renaissance architecture in the city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Trento.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Andrea BrownWhat a lovely, striking photo.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownI was so pleased to be able to get this photo. I waited anxiously as one person after another walked past in the background, hoping that mom wouldn’t straighten up and wheel off before I got a clear shot.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Scott AndersonA combination of luck, persistence, and great lighting. Well done.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick O'HaraAgreed. Nice shot.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In the public gardens opposite the central train station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The clock tower of San Francesco Saverio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bell tower of Santa Maria Maggiore.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Trento.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soon it’s gonna rain, I can feel it.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you for reminding me of that lovely song.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithI wondered if folks would recognize that. I was tempted to include that video also.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Yup. Back to the room.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Planning Ahead

So we’re at another break point in the tour - and not the one we anticipated at the previous projection.  Then, we expected to arrive at Piacenza about now, by way of Udine, Pordenone, Verona and Cremona;  but with our detours to Slovenia and Trento we’ve ended up in a different place entirely.  Which is fine - it’s been an exceptional past two weeks.  To bring us current, here are the actuals to date:

Antwerp to Heidelberg:

  • 18 cycling days
  • 685 miles
  • 17,000’ elevation gain
  • 3 flat tires

Heidelberg to Salzburg:

  • 16 cycling days
  • 575 miles
  • 23,000’ elevation gain
  • 3 (!) CycleBlaze meetups
  • No flat tires!

Salzburg to Trento:

  • 13 cycling days
  • 445 miles
  • 19,000’ elevation gain
  • 1 flat tire.

The next block of the tour is a significant change to our original plan for Italy.  When we first started discussing this tour we anticipated spending a significant amount of time at the end in Tuscany and Umbria - possibly three or four weeks.

That plan is out the door though, partly driven by the weather forecasts, partly because they’ve reminded us of how much we were enjoying the Piemonte three years ago when we were biking through on our tour from Dubrovnik to Gerona; and only the tiniest bit because we’re not sure how much we’re really enjoy beating us up for a month on those Tuscan and Umbrian hill towns.

When we were in the Piemonte three years ago we arrived late in October; and when the rains arrived with a vengeance at the first of November they drove us south earlier than we wanted.  We had plans of biking to Cuneo at the base of the Alps and then biking south through the hills to the Mediterranean, but heavy rain and severe flooding put that out of the question.  As it was, we were lucky to be able to catch a train south to Genoa.

The weather for the next two weeks in the Piemonte looks to be brilliant - one day after another of partly sunny, mild weather.  So we’re heading west, beginning with a train ride tomorrow morning to Crema while we ride out another day of rain.  Beyond Cuneo we’ll think again about how to wrap up the tour, but one way or another it will involve a train ride down to central Italy because that’s where our suitcases and the flight home are and there won’t be time enough left for these old legs to bike that far.

Salzburg to Cuneo (projected):

  • 13 cycling days
  • 400 miles
  • 15,000’ elevation gain
  • No flat tires!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We hang around our apartment all afternoon, our time largely taken up by finalizing the route and lodging for our upcoming tour of the Piemonte.  At seven we head out to the restaurant I booked a table for earlier in the day.  And it’s a good thing we had a reservation!  For the first twenty minutes we’re the only diners in the place, but finally two other tables are filled.

Over dinner we celebrate the start of our fifth and final month on the road for this tour.  We talk over the new plan, and debate which country we love the most - France or Italy.  A difficult call, but this evening I feel very happy at the thought of another five weeks here before we fly home.  Afterwards we walk back to our apartment by way of the illuminated Piazza Italia and a bar where we sat top for a chaser - Rachael has tiramisu, while I enjoy a strudel and americano.  None of this makes me think any the less of this place.  We’ve been on the road a long time now but I’m sure the coming month will fly by.

Celebrating the hatching of a new plan. The next two weeks look to be amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the first time we’ve approached the Piazza Duomo from this direction and seen the back side of the Duomo and Torre Civita.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Neptune fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Torre Civita is especially striking illuminated at night, with its reflection mirrored on the wet stones of the piazza.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Carolyn van HoeveSo sounding like Italy & France are top of your favourites! Where now does Southern Spain, Germany & Austria lie on the list?
Seems like an incredible tour so far. I have been writing it down as I think we might copy it religiously!
Loving reading each entry with my morning coffee
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveThanks for following along again, Carolyn. I hope to see you out on the road again soon. You’re right, we also love Spain, and now Germany and Austria. And Greece. And Croatia. Steven Stills had the right message, I think - Love the One You’re With.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveHa!! Excellent advise!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith ClassenYou two sure have had a great ride! Brings back fond memories of our rides (Moselle, Romantic Rd, Dolomites). Recall our ride east out of Trento up a nice hill you guys just coasted down. Enjoying your journal and great photos. You guys are just a short ride (even shorter train ride) to the base of Stelvio…just saying. And Lake Como near by. Detect any envy! Enjoy!
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenStelvio! I wish you’d have reminded me just a few days ago. Too late now - we’re leaving town in the opposite direction in an hour. Next time, for sure.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonSounds like a perfect plan, altlhough it's hard to go wrong in Italy. ... France or Italy? I think France has the best small roads and variety for cycling with lots of not too densely populated space, but I don't feel passionate about France the way I do for Italy. I love the language, the food, the architecture, the people. I was there with my mother when I was 15 and somehow it got under my skin.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
Looks like you’ll be going through Acquiterme. I HIGHLY recommend a stop at Cascina Marcantonio, a b-n-b with restaurant owned by my friend and fellow cyclist Guido Rapetti. It’s above the city surrounded by vineyards (also Guido’s) and his mom’s cooking is wonderful. Tell them Keith sent you!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ann HutchingHappily following your trip. Wonderful photos. We came down from Torino to Cuneo (2016) via Pinerolo and Saluzzo, for a pleasant break after very hot temps along the Po. Bon route,
Ann
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi again,
I just checked Guido’s website and it seems he’s upgraded his place to a three star hotel. Still recommended.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterScott and Rachael
You two are war horses - of course you need a day off every month or so! Sounds like a great change in plans, one i'm certain you'll enjoy. As will we following along. BTW - great jersey Rachael!
Susan
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterThanks, Susan. Sorry we’ll miss the chance to hook up on your way back north, but we’re very enthusiastic about this new plan.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Scott AndersonActually am wishing I was heading south to meet up with you! It is chilly and damp in Bolzano and there is snow on the mountains
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterIt’s supposed to clear up in a day or two up there, hopefully. I’ll bet it will look fantastic for your ride north. I was amazed looking north from the train yesterday to see all the snow up north.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinOh, it’s you! I remembered someone had a personal connection with Acqui Terme but had forgotten who or what. We’ve already booked a room in town, but we’ll see if we can make it up that way on the way in or on a day ride.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago