In Schipol - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2021

In Schipol

We’re still in a hurry up and wait pattern, so we might as well stretch the foreplay out a bit longer.  We’re sitting by the tracks at the train station in Schipol airport, waiting for our train to Antwerp which won’t leave for another hour yet.

Waiting for the train, Schipol airport.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Since we’re here, it’s apparent that we made it across the ocean.  There were no issues with customs once we arrived - they didn’t need to see anything but our passports - and the agent at the train window assures me that there will be no issues with boarding the train either.  We don’t need to present any credentials beyond our ticket.  So it appears like we’ll make it to Belgium, but the agent didn’t know if we’d have to show anything once we arrive in that country.  Who knows?  Maybe we’ll get turned back yet, but it does look like we’re in the door.

The flight itself was without incident, once it got off the ground.  The lead up to departure was unusually interesting though.  Loading was about ten minutes behind schedule, but the engines had started and we were receiving the safety presentation when the pilot announced a slight problem.  One of the passengers had somehow managed to get his baggage loaded onto the plane with his passport on it.  There would be a slight delay while the baggage crew searched the hold for this passenger’s luggage.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?  We haven’t.

Twenty minutes later two late arrivals entered the cabin and took their seats; and since there were new passengers, the safety presentation was repeated for their benefit before taxiing for departure.  

And then, I heard a gasp from someone with a window seat (we’re in the center section this time so missed the best views of the upcoming show).They’re looking to the horizon, which has suddenly turned very dark.  A minute later flashes of lightning appear, then thunder.  Then the windows of the plane all are covered with sheets of water, like we’re standing outside a glass doored shower stall. 

Very impressive. I wish I’d been by the window and could have gotten a good video.
Heart 3 Comment 0

And then, the pilot is back on the loud speaker, announcing that there will be a delay of unknown length.  The airport is shutting down until the storm passes, and the plane is killing the engines to preserve fuel.  For the next 45 minutes we wait while the storm runs its course, the environment in the plane growing warmer and less comfortable by the minute.  Finally the storm passes, the engines start up again, and after waiting for the seven or eight other planes in line before us to take off, we do also.

We’re an hour and a half behind schedule.  It’s a nice time to be on a nonstop, with no anxieties about missing a connection.

Just after sunrise, somewhere over Ireland. I wish I’d wakened up a few minutes earlier - I’ll bet the sunrise was spectacular. The wing is interesting though. We’re flying for the first time on a Boeing 787, the Dreamliner. Dad was a flight test engineer at Boeing, and helping to get the Dreamliner certified was his final project.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Tricia GrahamFantastic to hear you made it. Have a great time in the lovely Antwerp
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnI can totally imagine one of my sisters pulling the passport-in-the-suitcase stunt ... [eye roll]

Would love to know how that happened since the passport is required to check in check luggage(??)

Glad you made it across the pond!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI’m puzzled by how it could happen too. Maybe they were at the boarding desk and were asked to check a piece they were going to carry on?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierGlad you made it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauI've been out cycling when lightning and heavy rains have moved into the area and, on a few occasions, I just kept going in order to get to where I wanted to go. I mean, what are the chances of getting struck by lightning?

Thank goodness pilots and air traffic controllers have more common sense than I do. A "delay of unknown length" seems pretty reasonable when hundreds of passengers are involved. I only have to be responsible for myself.

And there you are, safely deposited in Europe. I trust you'll have a blast there, and I trust you'll tell us all about it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauThanks, Greg. You’re such a trusting soul! I’ll do my best to reward your sense of trust, on both counts.

And quit biking in electrical storms! Does the Feeshko know about this irrational behavior? I think someone should tip her off.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierAs are we. Let the fun begin!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago