In Mosbach: hiking the Hamburg loop - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2021

In Mosbach: hiking the Hamburg loop

There are many riding opportunities about Mosbach, as we’re reminded by information panels scattered about the altstadt touting local day rides.  That was our plan for the layover day here, actually - we intended to bike back to the Neckar and follow the radweg south for perhaps another 20 miles, maybe to about Heilbronn.  We biked up the Neckar on our way from Rothenburg OdT to Heidelberg 25 years ago and I’ve lost the record of where we joined the Neckar so I’m curious to see what might look familiar to my dimming memory.  

Our tails are both dragging though and this is the last layover day we’ll have for awhile so we decide to take a hike.  We enjoy a leisurely morning,  washing some laundry and taking our time getting underway.  Finally about eleven we start off on an eight mile loop of the Hamburg, the low hill just north of the city.  It’s a fine walk - very quiet, nice scenery, just the right level of difficulty for our ambitions today. And much better than that crummy hike Rachael took back in Trier.

We end the day as we did yesterday, seated at an outdoor table on the market square at Myrhos, the Greek restaurant we enjoyed last night also.  It’s an excellent small restaurant in a perfect setting, but I think what I enjoyed most was our server, a Greek woman who speaks fine English but with a marked British accent and a cultured vocabulary.  It’s been fairly quiet both nights so we were successful in drawing her out a bit.  She learned English fairly recently from a British school or educator of some sort - hence the accent and word choices.  She grew up in the same building we’re staying in now, the Schwanen Hotel; but back then it was a Greek restaurant.  The current restaurant is owned by her brother, and she comes here to work in it during the tourism season and then returns to her home in Epirus, somewhere between Patras and Ioannina.  And she lived on Naxos for five years, which makes us both feel very envious.  I wish I’d thought to take her photograph - I wish I’d recorded her voice, actually - but perhaps I’ll remember her as a short, slender, dark haired middle aged woman with an excellent, erect posture.

I really like this town, particularly around the edges of the day.  The old town is completely pedestrianized, so the primary sounds are the church bells and the conversation of folks sitting around the square beneath our window chatting away late into the evening.

The day begins with a view out our window at the market square.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Marktplatz.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Marktplatz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Mosbach. The first half mile of the walk is easy, but we turn right and head up that slope on the right in a few blocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at the Mosbach altstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brings to mind a song from an old musical.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Susan CarpenterOK, and it looks like a beautiful day for a walk
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterYup. Been thinking about you, Susan. Still coming over?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Scott AndersonBags are packed! Hoping there are no major glitches
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterGlad to hear it! We were worried for you when America got thrown onto the red list, but it sounds like it should be fine for vaccinated folks. Don’t lose your card though - it’s nearly as important as your passport here now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Very nice, but shouldn’t it be half-timbered?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Bismarck Tower, one of about 300 that were erected in Germany after Bismarck’s death in 1898 and before the commencement of the First World War.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Neckar (out of sight beneath our ridge) to Obrigheim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old and new come together at Schreckhof. Also, on the wall below the sign is an EV charging station for bicycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Schreckhof, a fine Hercules with all the essentials: a lamp, a bell, a milk jug.
Heart 2 Comment 0
To those lichen experts out there: what species favors leather?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Obrigheim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Slugs make an excellent subject for the amateur wildlife photographer. Not at all skittish, they’re easy to sneak up on and bring into focus.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI remember those huge orange (and other colors) slugs when we lived in Erzenhausen (near Kaiserslautern) 76-78.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauI've only seen black slugs. They're creepy, and I can't imagine orange ones being any better when you have to peel them off your tent . . . or your skin.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stamen shadow.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGeraniums
https://www.baumschule-horstmann.de/shop/exec/product/697/15303/Storchschnabel-Rozanne.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Surely no one will notice if just one goes missing.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Ben ParkeI saw an older gentleman stealing a couple ears of corn tonight. I assume he was stealing them because he had a very much guilty look on his face and his posture gave the appearance of having it’s been found out. Tsk tsk. Those cheeky Italians.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ben ParkeI had a very clear conscience. These trees were just strung along the path, maybe part of an abandoned orchard.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe wild marjoram?

https://luontoportti.com/en/t/1096/wild-marjoram?gallery=true
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Butterflies are a few steps up the difficulty scale from slugs, their distant relatives in the animal kingdom. Definitely flightier, they take some time, patience, and luck.
Heart 2 Comment 6
Bill ShaneyfeltSome species of fritillary. Nice shot! I don't think I ever got one that good!
http://www.dolphinhousegallery.co.uk/butterflies/fritillaries.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltPretty pleased with it myself. Definitely a harder subject than slugs.

I thought you’d enjoy today’s post. Still waiting for insight on that bike saddle though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYup, good job on the fritillary!
Slug was perfect, and as you noted, they are quite nice about posing.

I did enjoy the pictures, and I too, am wishing for lichen enlightenment (enlichenment?). Most internet sites that popped up on google search came up -cannot be found- and the ones that did come up had long lists of hundreds of scientific names without pictures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltHave you tried googling lichen + bicycle saddle?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI have now... Weird, just weird.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill Shaneyfeltenlichenment, I lichen it!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Has a serious case of fly snout.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauHe also has a serious case of over-grown bangs. Time to see the barber.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In Nustenbach: roses and a half-timbered house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rachael had one of the daily specials tonight: orecchiette pasta with shrimp and a feta and heidelbeer (blueberry) sauce.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eating ice cream is such serious business.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mosbach is serious about bicycle tourism. There are vintage bikes prominently placed all through the altstadt, many with information panels next to them describing suggested cycling routes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I like a room with a clothes drier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The day ends with a view out our window at the market square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0