In Hasselt (a photo gallery) - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2021

In Hasselt (a photo gallery)

I’m not sure what we expected, but Hasselt came as a surprise to us.  Maybe I imagined something more like Sant-Truiden but larger, but it’s nothing like that.  It’s actually quite modern, sophisticated, even hip. The  core of the city center is pedestrianized, there are bike paths everywhere of course, and a generous assortment of attractive restaurants and bars.  It looks like quite a nice place to live.  The town is short on monumental attractions, but there is the wall art if that sort of thing appeals to you.  It does for us and is reason enough for the visit - it’s the best town for wall art we’ve visited since our staying Tucson or maybe in Diamanté on the Calabrian coast.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sint-Quintinus Cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The old town hall.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I loved this elaborate building. Now unused I believe, it was the former provincial government building until it was replaced by more modern facilities.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this is exciting. The new duck store just had its grand opening. I’ve never seen an entire store dedicated to selling little duckies before. Interesting business model.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetI wonder what buyers do with them. I know you don't ski Whistler, but there are many, many ducks of various sizes and styles at the top and bottom stations of the Peak Chair, and even a sign that says "Duck Party Dance Zone" with an edited version of a Saturday Night Live poster with Travolta's head replaced by a duck.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI don’t know, but I don’t think it can be about the ski slopes. It’s pretty flat around here.

I wonder if there are ducky collectors that will help keep this place going. How great it would be having your home decorated with hundreds of duckies of all sizes and colors.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnGood thing the GBO has already claimed its place as the unofficial Team Anderson Mascot.

Otherwise I would say that youse need one of these ducks as a handlebar mount ..
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnA ducky handlebar mascot! Ooh, that sounds so cute! Maybe I’ll start talking up that idea when the GBO eavesdropping. It might scare him into better behavior.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Hasselt is only about a half mile from the Albert Canal, with this short side channel giving it a small harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view across the harbor from our dinner table at Trentanove, a sleek, stylish, modern Italian restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s an Italian restaurant, so it’s no surprise that it’s almost empty when we arrive at 5:30. As we wait for our meal we enjoy a collection of traditional Italian standards: Elvis, Natalie Cole, The Stones, The Beach Boys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A nice plan for the evening: bring your takeout and a six pack and flop on the pavement by the canal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Get your duckies in a row.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hanging out on the quay. Balance!
Heart 1 Comment 0

And the wall art - it looks like it all went up last summer during the Street Art Festival.  I see from the catalog that we missed a few.  Maybe we’ll look around again when we leave town tomorrow.

Heart 2 Comment 0
They don’t approve.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Keith KleinAh, but I do! Great Wall art as you promised.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinI especially liked this one. It has such a funereal tone.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi again,
It kinda looks like the early Kinks to me, except there are too many of them. What do you think?
Cheers
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinIt does have that feeling. From a distance when biked up to it I thought at first it might be the Beatles.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The piano player.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI'm glad you discovered Hasslet for us. We just breezed through and didn't appreciate what it has to offer. More a place to stay overnight. We, too, found the surroundings of Antwerp a bit monotonous, and the area where you are now is what made us Flanders enthusiasts. We discovered many small places like Sint Truiden. A bientôt, mes amis!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonWe did enjoy our stay in Hasselt, but you’re right about the region. One more on the long list of places I’d like to return to some day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago