In Dinkelsbuhl (a photo gallery) - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2021

In Dinkelsbuhl (a photo gallery)

In its own way, Dinkelsbuhl feels nearly as remarkable as Rothenburg.  Like Rothenburg it’s a fortified medieval town with much of the original walls, towers and gates still intact.  Everywhere you turn in Dinkelsbuhl you find yourself facing another tower that you don’t recall seeing before.  And like Rothenburg, it has fantastic housing stock beautifully painted in pastels.  Their characters feel different though, at least from the brief glance we gave them.  Dinkelsbuhl feels less given over to the north tourism, more like a place that people actually live.  I can’t really imagine living in Rothenburg, but I can here.

We followed the same model for seeing the town here: we walked around briefly after dinner last night and then had a much longer look this morning after breakfast.  A great place, one I’d be delighted to return to some day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Wornitz Tower, the main entrance from the east. The name comes from the Wornitz River which runs past the town on this side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the typical Dinkelsbuhl look. It’s amazing how many well preserved, well maintained structures like this line it’s streets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Nordlingen Tor, the entrance from the south.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A side view of the Nordlingen Tor. I see it has a stork nest, something we didn’t notice at the time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dinkelsburg’s walls are so impressive. We only walked along sections of them, but I think they still completely encircle the town. Unlike in Rothenburg though there’s no walkway on top of them.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ben ParkeThe walls do completely encircle the town. One of few towns where the walls are still fully et act. That there are three towns like that left all so close together is pretty remarkable. Rothenburg, dinkelsbûhl, and Nördlingen. Nördlingen feels even more authentic and livable. It was my favorite of the three.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re starting to see more cats lately. We hardly saw any until the last few days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Bäuerlinsturm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodGreat to see that you like Dinklelsbuhl. We literally stumbled upon this place at the tail end of our 2017 EV6 (ish) tour. We stayed at the hotel immediately to your left (not in the pic) - Hotel Haus Appelberg.
Link to pic taken from our room, it should look familiar!
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ltkk2017/off-again-on-again-romance-day-70-dillingen-to-dinklesbuhl/#21051_3192996_PA163224__2_

Great town and we agree with your assessment that you could see yourself living there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodIt’s not Sparwood, that’s for sure. I’m envious that you passed through later in the season when it was so colorful. It must have really been extraordinary. The ivy is just beginning to turn here now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The city library.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jen RahnWow .. that looks like a heavy load!

And is she wearing flip-flops?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYup - twins. And yup, flip flops - which is a step up from the two barefoot cyclists we’ve seen in the last two days.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the window of the tower above. I think someone lives here. Several spots along the wall have doorways with addresses and mailboxes. What a place to call home!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Seringer Tor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Seringer Tor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wallflower and shadow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Grüner Turm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re seeing more red in the ivy every day now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0