Got those preflight jitters - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2021

Got those preflight jitters

With six days until flight departure, we’re surprised to find that we feel nearly as stressed this time as we did last August when we were waiting for our flight to Zagreb, wondering if we’d be able to get a timely Covid test, if the airlines would let us board, and if Croatia would let us enter the country without quarantine when we arrived.  There were so many uncertainties and things that might go wrong.  We really couldn’t believe it when we landed and were granted entry.  Our plan worked!

Somehow it feels nearly as precarious this time.  We haven’t really begun focusing on departure issues until the last few days, but now that we’re here there there are many things to do, validate and worry about.  It’s leading to some restless nights.

We’re working a floating task list, adding and subtracting items as they occur to us or get resolved.  Some recent activity:

  • Yesterday we started calling pharmacies to find a source for N95 masks.  Finding none, we placed a rush order with Amazon and are having them shipped to our nephew Vance’s home, our final destination before preparing to leave.
  • We rechecked departure requirements with our airline (United) and Netherlands’ entry requirements to confirm that we can board without a fresh Covid test.  We’ll of course keep checking up until the date of departure.
  • We reviewed and tried to make sense of Belgium’s entry and quarantine requirements.  So far, so good - as long as the USA stays on Belgium’s ‘orange list’, we can enter without quarantine or new Covid testing as long as we’ve been vaccinated.  The declaration only gets updated on Fridays, so I think that if we make it through this weekend and our country is still orange, we can go to Belgium.
  • We reviewed Belgium’s Covid situation, speculating on whether they’ll remain low enough so that we’ll be able to enter Germany from Belgium when that time comes.  Things look good so far; but again, this could change within the next two weeks so all we can do in the meantime is hope for the best and stay informed.
  • We committed ourselves to this Belgium idea and booked cancellable lodging and purchased tickets for a train from the airport to Antwerp.  Booking the train was interesting and time consuming.  Trains can be booked online (through Thalys, a hi-speed network that services Belgium and France that I’d never heard of), but for whatever reason the transaction kept failing so I finally telephoned Belgium directly and ordered our tickets over the phone.  That was successful, although we stressed for several hours over the failure to receive email confirmation until Rachael suggested looking in the spam folder.

Is that it for now?  I think so.  I’m sure the next restless night will raise other issues to fret about though.  Like last summer, I doubt we’ll really start to relax until we wake up in Antwerp, amazed that we’re really there.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Tricia GrahamEven reading your post puts my blood pressure up and makes me nervous!! Can’t wait to read your post from Antwerp
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonThis is so exciting, I'm getting nervous for you, too! Too bad I didn't remember you had a contact address in Connecticut. I could have sent you the masks there. On the other hand, I don't see anyone going around and controlling what kind of masks people are wearing here. As for fresh covid tests, as far as I know they are available at every border. It is all going to work out, so now go back to sleep.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Noreen BreThis might ease your stress a little:
'Ending quarantine in the case of high-risk areas: Home quarantine can be ended early by submitting proof of vaccination or recovery or a negative test result via the Federal Republic's travel portal at www.einreiseanmeldung.de. Quarantine ends the moment such proof is submitted. If this proof is already submitted before entry, no quarantine is necessary. '
source -> https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/service/gesetze-und-verordnungen/guv-19-lp/coronaeinreisev/coronaeinreisev-en.html
As of now, you won't have to quarantine in Germany as long as you haven't recently been in Brazil or Uruguay because you are vaccinated. Even if you are entering the country from a high-risk area! You will have to register and upload your proof of vaccination though. My flatmate has been to Spain until Aug. 1 and she didn't have to quarantine either because she's vaccinated.

When travelling through the previously flooded areas, please ask the hotel staff wether it's safe to drink their tap water as it has been contaminated in some regions.

I know it's really hard to take things easy these days, but you're well prepared and I think it will all work out fine.

I'd really have liked to meet you in Aachen, Trier or Mainz, but it looks like we'll just miss each other as I'll myself be cycling in Slovenia from Aug. 15 to Sep. 1!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Noreen BreHi, Noreen. Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for an interpretation of that text and it’s context. We have read those words a half dozen times now without being able to convince ourselves either way. If you have to have proof of vaccination to enter in the first place, why not say up front to upload it? We’re quite happy to have been pushed to go down to Belgium to start our tour though, which wouldnt have happened otherwise.

Sorry we’ll miss each other also in Trier, which we’re booked for on 8/23-4. Have a great time in Slovenia though! Are you going to post it?

Say - from Trier we’re planning on biking down the Mosel to Koblenz. How badly damaged from the flooding was it, and should we think again?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamWell, we don’t want to be affecting your health! Maybe you’d better stop following until we arrive and quit stressing over it.

I’m not as worried about it as all that, really. We’re feeling pretty confident that this will work out, as long as Europe doesn’t get mad at America and redline us again before we leave.

I really hope you decide to go yourselves. So much can change between now and November. Go while you can, that’s my motto.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownJudah and Tanja just arrived in Malaga yesterday after a very harrowing flight experience, their departure AA flight from Portland was cancelled 12 hours before it was scheduled and he spent that night at the airport getting paper tickets and hassling with UK because they had no assigned seating or flight information, both required even to transit through Heathrow. They are enjoying Estapone now with her family but it was purely ghastly just getting out of the US. Fortunately you have a direct flight which cuts down the stress of the unknown.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThat sounds awful, but at least they finally made it - although that sounds like an awfully warm time to be visiting southern Spain. And yes, we are lucky it’s a nonstop. So many fewer transactions and things that can go wrong.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago