Given what we know now - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2021

Given what we know now

In the end, it really wasn’t about the food.  We weren’t enthusiastic about the idea, but I’m sure we would have adapted reasonably well to Dutch cuisine.

We’ve steered away from thinking too hard about the situation in Europe until the past few days, reasoning that there wasn’t too much point focusing too early on such a volatile situation.  About as far as we got was to regularly review the entrance requirements for the countries we plan to cycle through to make sure vaccinated Americans were still permitted entry, and to track what is happening with Covid over there.

So yes, we were aware that the Netherlands experienced a sudden spike in Covid cases a few weeks ago, and that the CDC recommends travelers avoid the country now.  We haven’t been that concerned by this though - we’re vaccinated, fairly solitary, and not that worried for our own exposure.

But it wasn’t until a few days ago that it finally occurred to us that we might have an issue crossing borders once we’re in Europe.  Now that we’ve looked, we see that there is a slight problem - the Netherlands is on Germany’s high-risk list.  As a consequence, even though travelers recently in the Netherlands can enter Germany for nonessential reasons (tourism) if they’ve been vaccinated, they’re subject to quarantine once rhey arrive.

We don’t care to be quarantined, thanks.  If I were a betting man, I’d bet that by the time we’re ready to enter Germany two weeks from now the restriction will be lifted.  Cases in the Netherlands are plummeting now just as fast as they spiked, and once their rolling 7 day average drops below Germany’s threshold, Germany will drop them from their red list.

But Germany only updates their list on Fridays.  We could wait until next Friday to see if the situation has changed, but there are other considerations.  Tomorrow is the last day we can still cancel some of our bookings in the Netherlands without forfeiting our lodging payments.  Given what we know now, biking in the Netherlands looks like an unnecessarily bad bet that could end with us stuck at the border.

So we have a new, improved itinerary, fresh off the drawing board this morning.  After our flight lands in Amsterdam we’ll take the train from the airport to Antwerp and spend our first week biking in Belgium instead.  A week of waffles!  It’ll be great.

The Road to Rome, Part 2, v. 3.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Tricia GrahamThe problems of borders within Europe has certainly been on our mind which is why we have planned our tour to snake around Germany
You asked what MIQ is It is managed isolation and quarantine The disadvantage of NZ having no community cases for many months is that you have to go into a managed isolation facility for 14days on your return even if fully vaccinated and spots book out very rapidly. We live in hope that by the time we return fully vaccinated people will be able to self isolated
Will certainly be looking at how you get on as our planned departure is a few days after you - at the moment I haven’t started a journal and wont until we are in the air as I am scared I’ll jinx it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a smart solution! I'm so glad that Antwerp is on your itinerary. And Flanders. Both very worth seeing! I'd go again at the drop of a hat.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks for this comment. It caused us to relook at the map of Belgium and our plan for how to spend our time here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodDon’t you pine for the days when route planning only involved distances, elevation profiles, safe shoulders or dedicated bike paths …., and as always, the promise of a good post ride bevy and meal!
Complicated times we live in now, but it looks like the two of you are staying nimble and flexible. Hope everything works out well, as it likely will.
Envious of your trip, we’re going to have to live vicariously through your posts for this season!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodThanks, Lyle. Yes, I do wish for simpler times. I wish for better knees and a younger chassis too, but without success on either front. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride, as Gramma Woodings loved to say.

I feel such sadness for all you Canadians this year. You deserve much better.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensBelgium makes the best Chocolate and Trappist Beer!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensEven better then potatoes and brats!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago